News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What is the ideal rod for wild trout fishing?

Started by Wildfisher, September 26, 2005, 11:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Depending where I'm going I use one of 3 rods:
For general hill lochs it's a 8'6 hardy gem multipiece #5.

If the weather is really good or if  its the wee rivers it's a Sparton 7'6 multipiece #3, it's a bit limiting if the wind gets up but it casts very well (20 yards at need) and is a joy to use.

Both are great for sticking in a wee rucsack and handle big fish with ease.

If the weather is blowing up or it's early season and sunk lines an old M400  David Norwich 9 ft 6 multipiece size 6/7 which I also use for seatrout and salmon on the Endrick. If I had to use only one rod for all my fishing this would be it and I wouldn't feel at much of a disadvantage. It's been used for everthing from grayling on the chalkstreams to summer salmon on the Tay.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

ten boaber

Thinking of a gray duster stavitte 9' #6-7
Is this a good rod and how much should I be paying
Cheers for any help

bluezulu

QuoteMy #7 is an Orvis 10' Silver Label which is fine for a boat but a bit soft for the bank. Will get something a bit faster soon

don't you find the longer rod with a  softer action better for fishing a team of flies though?

i was lucky enough to inherit tow rods i'd never be able to afford-  a  9' , ?4 sage xp from, and a 9' ?7 RPL  from my father and both are  a joy to cast  with a really fast action,  but that closed loop means if i fish with droppers i have to think about it a bit if you know what i mean.

bluezulu

QuoteYe canny leave us in limbo like that, details man, give us details

yeah...tell us more please you rod tease...   :D  :D  :D

silverbutcher

QuoteI bought a wee Ron Thompson for the Crask trip last season and if you turn the rod slightly when the fly lands on the water the fish canny see the label.
Seemed to work okay.

Billy,

I've got a Greys Greyflex ?150 job and a Ron Thomson ?40 special. I can't tell the difference when I'm using them, and sadly neither can the troots. They tend to ignore both of them :?

The other Billy

Go To Front Page