News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

reel capacity wf -dt

Started by garryh, April 18, 2012, 06:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

would i be correct in thinking that a weight forward line would take up less space than a double taper of the same line rating on the reel allowing more backing.i am thinking only of floating lines of the same brand. im sure Fred will have the answer at his fingertips. :8)

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Inchlaggan

Not exactly answering your question, I'll leave that to Fred, but this might be of some interest.

http://northbranchreels.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/spool-capacity-data/

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Yes, like with like  a WF will take up less space.

garryh

cheers Fred.im looking to get a smaller reel .just checking before i buy.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

dazdidge

Buy a DT, cut it in half and get two lines for the price of one and a smaller reel. Everyones a winner, except Fred that is :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: daz on April 18, 2012, 07:23:33 PM
Buy a DT, cut it in half and get two lines for the price of one and a smaller reel. Everyones a winner, except Fred that is :lol:

I often suggest that one myself Daz, but with my lines being so inexpensive (especially  to valued forum members) compared  to say Barrio and even Pirate, it's hardly worth the bother!  :lol:

dazdidge

I'm just a really tight fucker though Fred, but apart from that I tend to stand on my lines an awful lot! Which means two a year at least.

daz

Wildfisher

Quote from: daz on April 18, 2012, 09:17:26 PM
I'm just a really tight fucker though Fred

aye, that's what I heard Daz.    :lol:

Robbie

It may be worth looking at how much of the line you will actually use, I know that the back end of most full lines never leaves my reel.  If you really wanted to minimise the size of reel you needed you could consider cutting a portion off the back end of a WF line.

Wildfisher

That's right Robbie. Most WF lines are about 90 -  100 ft. Most anglers could cut off 2 feet or so and never notice it's gone. More especially with light weight lines where the only time the last 1/2 of the running line sees daylight is when it is first wound onto the reel.

Go To Front Page