News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Skin So Soft

Started by JIMCCS, June 02, 2012, 05:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

Jungle formula for me Every time.And a net. :D
I had a impulse buy in B&M  today called Xpel Mosquito and insect repellent 30% DEET. Its Very cheap so it might be shite.I will be trying it out during the week and will report back.

corsican dave

i find skin so soft is even more painful than the midges. i suffer with psoriasis, so i'm on a loser every which way!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

sinbad

Quote from: fergie on July 05, 2012, 10:51:14 PM
Jungle formula for me Every time.And a net. :D
I had a impulse buy in B&M  today called Xpel Mosquito and insect repellent 30% DEET. Its Very cheap so it might be shite.I will be trying it out during the week and will report back.

Just found this stuff in lidl for £1.50 , fergie or anyone tried it out yet ? figured at 30% deet it's worth a go.

Fishtales

I think Jungle Formula is also 30% Deet. I've used it for years too and it works pretty well. I have also my own formula on test which works jut as well without putting it on your skin, just splash it around hat, on collar and cuffs, only the odd one gets through. can't put too much of it on bare skin though as it tends to make the skin burn and you go a bright red :) Doesn't smell too great either but stays on the clothes for ages. That's alright as long as it is only the fishing gear that it is on :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

sinbad

Quote from: sinbad on July 14, 2012, 10:53:03 AM
Just found this stuff in lidl for £1.50 , fergie or anyone tried it out yet ? figured at 30% deet it's worth a go.
Ive been using Xpel stuff for a while now and im pleased to report back i like it, works at least as well as anything else and is a 3rd the price.

Highlander

To be honest I reckon any "good" repellent   has to contain DEET.
By all accounts it is quite a nasty chemical but the alternative "The Highland Midge" is by far the worse so I will take my chances with DEET.
Never used SSS, some like it but others do not. Was it not the older version that was originally found to be a good repellent?
Is the current thing the same.
Always wondered why Avon did not market it as a separate product, probably just did not fall into their product range.
I still have a few older versions of AUTAN & I find it is as good if not better than most. There was a product called SHOO a while back  that was reported as good if I remember correctly. Is that still available? Think it was recommended by the Foresty Commision & they should know. Might be worth trying that.
Thinking what beach caster said I too thought about what they gave use way back in the 70s when I was posted to
Quebec for 6 months to assist in building a road through virgin pine forest. It came in a clear bottle labeled " Insect Repellent". That to did strange things to synthetic materials. You have to wonder some times what the hell they gave you.
Maybe we were part of some long term experiment. Well so far they have failed
:lol:
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on July 23, 2013, 12:12:23 PM
To be honest I reckon any "good" repellent   has to contain DEET.

Agreed. You have to put so much Skin so Soft on so frequently I reckon its mode of operation is drowning.

Buanán

A few months back when I was out in Nigeria I bought some factor 5 Jungle Formula, the most potent now produced, have to say thats the boy and just like the old pre lo cal pap that now passes for JF, which is all I see on the shelves locally.

Shoo was good, not one hit stuff like the old jungle formula but effective despite the need for an interim top up. I don't think it's available now, mores the pity as it was very popular back in the day.

The midge has been rather scarce this year, so I've managed to cope without thus far. Still, todays oppressive heat and humidity is building to something, I think the midge is about to put in the mother of all appearances given some cloud cover dampness and heat, which is in the post it seems. 

Stands to reason that the midge should put in a late appearance and make up for lost time, the english schools are out so the next few weeks are prime feeding. 

Wildfisher

There was a report on the radio a few weeks back. Some biting flies and mosquitoes are startling to show resistance to DEET. 

Heaven help us.   :shock:

Buanán

Quote from: admin on July 23, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
There was a report on the radio a few weeks back. Some biting flies and mosquitoes are startling to show resistance to DEET. 

Heaven help us.   :shock:

I don't think that it's a resistance thing from what I heard, rather they'll head off to find a deet free victim, should they fail, they'll come back for you and just put up with the taste of deet, it's an availability thing apparently.

Still, deet offeres enough protection to last a few belly laughs at those dripping with SSS. I see the latest incarnation of the SSS dispenser is looking rather more industrial than the old cosmetic looking container, needs to be ;)   

Go To Front Page