News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Okuma Airframe Reel

Started by Wildfisher, June 04, 2012, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

These reels have been mentioned on here a few times. Intending to do a bit of estuary  fishing I wanted a cheap reel that I did not mind too much if it ended up getting damaged. I bought 2 of these reels for 7/9 weight lines.

Very impressive for the money at under £15.

Inchlaggan

They get my vote. I've never had one fail to do what I require of a reel. Any abuse or damage they suffered that resulted in failure of the reel was always entirely my fault. They really make it possible to have reels for setups  4- 9, each with four different lines already spooled for 1/3 the price of a singlewhizz-bang, modulous, aluminium, marketing B'llsh't, Sagvis or whatever.
Leave it behind on the bank (done that, twice)you are down the price of a line and £15, you are also a prat.
Leave a Hardy behind on the bank, and you are down the price of a line and a fortune, you are also prat, but a bigger one.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I think that's the same reel as the Scierra Avalanche if so it's a great reel.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

The drag wheel is HUGE and so easy to adjust and fiddle with!  :lol:

Traditionalist

Have used these for years, since they first came out. The best reel on the market for general fishing at ANY price. I wouldn't have an aluminium or similar reel as a gift.

TL
MC

Amadan

QuoteThe drag wheel is HUGE and so easy to adjust and fiddle with!  :lol:

I think its similar to one I had- if it is then the drag wheel can fall off when unscrewed and I manage excess line so poorly it can get tangled around it. Mine fell off and floated off on me.... about 30 minutes before I hooked my first ever seatrout (5lb). Could so easily have been a disaster.... definitely felt like a prat then....  :crap

Craigie17

Quote from: Sandfly on June 06, 2012, 09:36:48 AM
A little bit more expensive is this one from Orvis, good quality and an excellent drag.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_directory_tnail.aspx?dir_id=441&group_id=694&cat_id=12169&subcat_id=12170

Davy.

Bought one of these a month ago to match a new 4wt rod. Absolutely love it; well built, nice drag and at a great price. Considering upgrading my old Leeda Rimfly 395 cartridge reel for one of these in the larger size

Go To Front Page