News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Deep Diving Lures

Started by rubberwellie, June 24, 2012, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

I had one of those mike i gave it to a pal to use from his yak .dont know if he went through with it though. :D

Theres also a way to make your normal size riggers portable (depending on the boat) you need wooden seats to do this.I will look out some pics if i can cos am not going out to the garage to take pics of it cos its pishin down here. :roll: :lol:

fergie

Portable downrigger.
You just need some decent timber and 2 u bolts from indespension .Oh and a downrigger.

theres a better pic of it.

rubberwellie

That's not a bad looking set up you've got there fergie - the fishfinder and the portable downrigger.  Good to know - thanks for sharing. 

A couple of good looking troot as well - nice to know the setup works...

Cheers,
Sean
Let them go.

Allan Crawford

So far I havent used a down rigger or diver plate and dont feel you need them to fish down to 20ft', having a fish finder is necessary to know what depth your lures are fishing. Using the finder and watching the rods to show when you hit bottom you build up the experience to have a good idea what depth your fishing for each lure with different amounts of line out. My favourite is a rapala lure that I cant remember the name of, (sorry I'm away from home working) fishes between 10 and 20', but there are many suitable lures, just pick some with bigger lips and give them a go. I use 50lb power pro braid and if I hook the bottom, put the engine in reverse, sort out the other rods and go back for my stuck lure, havent lost many.

rubberwellie

Hi Colliemore, 

Thanks for the advice mate, that looks like a lure I should have in my armoury.  I'll get some off e-bay.

Do you use all 3 sizes or just the bigger one?

Cheers,
Sean
Let them go.

Allan Crawford

Just the biggest one in brown trout ( which isnt that big) dont get any smaller, my favourite and most successful, though because of that I always have one on and usually fish 3 rods! If out by myself I might just stick with two rods especially if the weather is up a bit.

rubberwellie

Is the brown trout one a discontinued pattern?  I can't find any online, all I can see are hot steel, bleeding olive flash etc.  It's not the bleeding copper one you're on about is it? 
Let them go.

fergie

Rapala hot steels been a successfull colour for me.Not with these particular type of lures right enough.

rubberwellie

I've always been a bit wary of the flashier rapalas, I know people that have been successful with a firetiger rapala for salmon and trout but I've never bought one because I don't really fancy the colours, bit daft really considering that I'll happily use the orange/gold one. 

I normally stick to orange/gold, black/gold and maybe black/silver, plus the brown/rainbow trout ones I've bought for the ferox, maybe I should be a bit more adventurous...

You not fishing today then fergie?
Let them go.

Go To Front Page