News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The very best Wading jacket

Started by Malcolm, October 02, 2012, 10:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Ok,

I have been asked to make suggestions for myself for an upcoming anniversary for something I would reaaly like. Like most of us I have nothing I really need (as opposed to "want").  HoweverI don't normally use wading jackets (waistcoat with a cheap waterproof in the back pocket in case it rains) and thought it would be nice to have a top quality one. So research begins.

A couple of things. I usually don't buy clothing made by fishing manufacturers as it seems to me to be generally unfit for purpose - i.e crap - compared to the stuff made for mountaineers and wildlife photographers. I also hate Goretex and waxed cotton!

After a bit of research I've come across a company that makes a wading jacket from a ventile outer + Paramo pumpliner. Very interesting as I am a huge fan of both and together they should make the toughest and most breathable jacket around. Very very expensive as I'd expect with that mixture of materials but I'm not paying. Now I've never used this company before and wondered if any of you have experience of them.

http://www.hillgear.com/acatalog/Dee_Chest_Wading_Jacket.html
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

Looks pretty good Malcolm. I see they do a made to measure service too for those not of normal proportions :)

www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Dee_Chest_Wading_Jacket.html

My usual system for deciding on something is how often will I use it? Would what I have already serve the same purpose? Will it replace what I have and still be as versatile? The fact it is both ventile and paramo means it will be both cool in the summer and warm in winter so wearing it all the time seems to tick most of the boxes.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inchlaggan

I should really stop clicking links posted on this site, yet another bit of gear on the wish list!
Looks very good.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I'm surpised no one seems to have used this company.  I'll try and find out elsewhere. I'm a bit wary of ordering seemingly good stuff from unknown sources - especially where ventile is concerned as it is so dependant on top class workmanship especially on the seams.
To jaw like this

Malcolm

Quote from: guest on October 03, 2012, 11:02:03 AM
I had a ventile jacket a few years ago - got to say I wasn't impressed.

Supposed to be lightweight, breathable and waterproof - far from it and on top of that it ripped and the mere sight of thorns and fences - fine for RAF flight suits but too lightweight for fishing IMHO

It comes in different weights the heavy weight stuff (L24 I think) is great. I've had a lot of ventile gear - 2 jackets, trousers, gaiters and a waistcoat which I lost. The trousers were unbelievable. Many years of very hard wear. Unfortunately when they finally did go the company who made them had changed the spec and I switched to using Fjallraven which are better for the summer but not so good in the harsher weather and not so tough: although better than any other trousers of their type that I've tried. The two jackets are chalk and cheese: and one of the reasons I asked the question. One is absolute crap and I have my doubts it is actually ventile and the other was brilliant, still is according to my light fingered son. The gaiters too are great. 
To jaw like this

Otter Spotter

Its a bit pricier but the Gudeline Alta is an amazing jacket. Extremely lightweight and folds to nothing. If out for a day this is the only jacket I will carry. It is basically a shell which you can layer up under. Used it deep wading and otherwise foul weather conditions (there is a picture on here somewhere of me at applecross in torrential rain, I am miserable but dry!). I have had 2 seasons of heavy use out of it and there is no signs of deterioration on the seams. Bung it through a Nickwax cycle every 6 months or so to get rid of the the fishiness no problems.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Andrew Moray

Hello Malcolm,

If it was a recommendation you were asking for, that jacket looks awfy like the wading jacket I would've recommended, the Patagonia SST.
I had one, over 10 years old, that I used as an outdoor jacket, that "failed".
After it failed to be rejuvenated with the suggested wash and treat routine, they replaced it with the new model with no qualms or queries.

IIRC, we had the kit chat at the Casting Club, with a shared appreciation of double-layered ventile kit.
With that in mind, I'd go for the SST if I were after a wading jacket.

HTH  :D,
Tony

myotis

Quote from: Malcolm on October 03, 2012, 10:49:53 AM
I'm surpised no one seems to have used this company.

They have a very good reputation in the bushcraft community. Although, I don't own any of their  products, from reviews and anecdotes about personal experiences and customer service, they would be on my short list when looking for outdoor clothing.

Graham

Malcolm

Thanks for thant Graham and for the other suggestions which I have looked at also. I think I'll put that down on the suggestion list. Possibly a bit more likely to get that jacket than the Swarovski binoculars. 
To jaw like this

Allan Crawford

Can go around in circles talking about water proof jackets, I havent any experience of this one so if you get it, will be good to hear a report !

Go To Front Page