News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Outdoor Trousers

Started by Malcolm, December 11, 2012, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I've been very well served in the past on here asking advice so here goes again. I need another pair or two of outdoor trousers.   

My requirement: super tough, not made of cotton, fire resistant - something that doesn't melt onto my skin at the merest touch of a naked flame and decent pockets.

To give an idea I've been using Fjallraven Rieco and Barents trousers for years and was just going to buy another pair but they have a minor fault in that the the hip pockets are not perfect and I lose all my change on a regular basis. I should say that I use the Rievos all the time as my everyday trousers.

To give an idea i was looking at Hagloifs Rugged mountain pant but discovered they were made of Polyamide which melts at the touch of a spark.

I might also be interested in a pair of outdoor wool trousers for cold weather. I did find a make called Codet (Canadian) that make woollen hunting trousers but I can only find one online outlet and they don't have my size. So if you know of any let me know.

I'll probably end up buying another pair of Fjalravens! 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I use Craghoppers. Quick drying and inexpensive

superscot

I go with Fred on the Craghoppers ..cheap and do the job well ...even have the ones that unzip at the knee for during the summer ...which i have to say not used much this year  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

corsican dave

I shouldn't worry about the toughness of the rugged mountain pant Malcolm. I've had a pair for four years and the only mark on them is a super glue stain on the knee. It's actually a Kevlar weave on knee and seat. They'll be £160 next season but with worth every penny. Craghoppers are cheap but there's a reason for that....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Malcolm

Dave,

It's not the toughness I'm bothered about. It's the fact that they are polyamide. I had a pair of polyamide Rohans which melted onto my skin when touched by a burner. Thankfully not much but a warning to me.

To jaw like this

corsican dave

Well steer clear of polycotton then! I reckon you're stuck with ventile. There is a world of difference between the fabric used on the super strider and the rugged mountain. I suppose if you want flame proof then you'll need to look at somethinglike the fire service use. Not really hill walking kit. Incidentally, fall raven is a wax impregnated polycotton, so will melt in flame. The wax also washes out in heavy rain.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

These troosers bring a whole new meaning to burning up the miles on the  hill  :D

Bobfly

Staying in Blackburn of Pattack one winter night. A guy's primus flared up badly and he ran out to the door with it. He was wearing nylon covered fibre pile mitts - you can imagine the outcome. Unbelievable shouting and pain, but the result was actually quite localised in the end cos he just dived into the snow at the door. Could have been an awful hair-raising mess. A few years later the whole bothy got burnt down. Quite right to avoid the instant melt fabrics !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Malcolm

Dave,

I don't wax the trousers however I have scorch marks on the thick polycotton which Fjallraven uses (on two of my three pairs as it happens) where I would have had melted fabric, I know I am a careless bastard! Ventile I like and I had a pair that lasted many years of very hard use - I may yet get another pair.

Anyway it now seems that I haven't missed a trick and the choice is basically thick Polycotton or ventile with a nervous glace at the Haglofs - stay away from the fire or the gas burner and they would be ideal.     

To jaw like this

Go To Front Page