News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Outdoor Trousers

Started by Malcolm, December 11, 2012, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I'll have a word with haglofs and see if I can get a swatch of the fabric to drag against a hot stove. They have a vested interest in this as I sell a lot of them to stalkers and keepers. I'll also get a sample from bergans. I'm using the pasvik silent jacket at present which has stood up to the usual corsican abuse but hasn't exactly been doused in flame! Once I've got the fabrics I'll post some photos for you
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Calum

Aye, the Haglofs Rugger Mountain Pant for me as well.  I cannae fault them!

Highlander

I would be more worried if I thought I would have to have a pair of "fireproof" trousers.

Having said that you really should be looking at "work" trousers.
Arco Ibrox is your best bet they have a good range of "work Trousers" that would fit your needs. In fact any of the "Industrial Workwear" companies would do similar.
Sure Safe in Cumbernauld
Fyfe & Mc Grouther in..... Kinning Park.
SAS...... Kinning Park
I like Craghopper "The Kiwi" range (they do not have the leg zip.)
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Hello Malcolm,

For tough wearing outdoor trousers, i.e. photography/exploring dense undergrowth, personally I'd replace the Fjallravens or see if you can pick up decent moleskins.
Another that might be worth tracking down is the Filson tin cloth trousers.
I trashed a pair of ME guide pants in one trip with the psychopuppy on a river walk, my Filsons are 10 years plus, and still laugh at thorns and brambles.
Not tried setting them on fire though.

HTH,
Tony

Traditionalist

You can get the Filson Tin Cloth pants here;

http://www.filson.com/products/tin-cloth-brush-pants.14026.html

and they are indeed very good if somewhat expensive.

The work pants I linked to are very good and a lot cheaper. 

Buanán

Ventile, but it's not that easy as there's very little to choose from and what there is isn't to my liking. Having said that I have a great pair of outdoor trousers that would work in ventile. I'm thinking about asking Hilltrek in Aboyne to copy them in ventile for me or, if I can talk her into it, buying some ventile myself and having my mother make them, of which she's more than capable, especially with a pattern to follow. 

If a maximum of a 32" leg is a acceptable then these my be of interest too short for me though;

http://www.countryinnovation.com/ventile/kestrel-trousers.html

Here's a link to Hilltrek;

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Ventile.html?gclid=CMOH08KglLQCFaTKtAodXTYAbA

Their standard ventile breeks don't cut it for me, the county innovation trouser looks a better off the peg bet, expensive though. 

Fishtales

I wear Craghopper Kiwi trousers, have done for twenty odd years now, and have never had a problem with them. Quick drying if they get damp, comfortable, hard wearing, I still have a couple of pairs of the originals I bought, and reasonably wind proof so warm. I don't like the ones from GO though, they are different  from the ones I buy direct from Craghoppers. I wear them as dress trousers too and sticky children's hand prints wipe off pretty easily with a damp cloth :)

I have never tried the fire test on them though.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Like Sandy I wear Craghopper Kiwi trousers for just about everything! For summer on the hill they are perfectly fine. Put a pair of thermals under them and they are fine for winter too. For ordinary walking / fishing  they are perfectly adequate, comfy, quick drying -  that is VERY important - and they are cheap.

Malcolm

As always lots to thnk about from experienced outdoor people! The problem is with these sort of things is that once you find something that is good then it lasts for years - and things move on.

Buanan,

I had a pair of Kestrel ventiles for about 8 years. Tremendous but with one fault - the lining clings to you if you are sweating. Otherwise great and tough as you could wish for. I did look at the Cabrach and they do a made to measure service and will put in thigh pockets for a map/ compass if you want.

Andrew,

Filsons have a great rep but they are expensive. I actually have a pair of trousers which are possibly even tougher! Stealth Gear do outdoor photography kit and their suff is magnificent. I use the waistcoat for fishing in thigh waders and it will quite possibly last several lifetimes - so will the trousers. Too heavy and warm for wandering about on the hills and general outdoor activites.

Mike,

The problem with these trousers is that they are cotton based - an absolute killer oudoors on the hills. Ventile and Polycotton is fine as the latter are quick drying

Generally I have been using the Fjallraven as they are the only manufacturer I kno that does a heavy polycotton which seems to me at the moment the best for my purposes but Dave may change my mind.

The Flame test isn't truly critical but when a spark from a campfire or the touch of a burner melts a fabric I promise it ain't pleasant. Wool cotton and polycotton tends to scorch rater than melt. Of couse I may never get a cinder on my trousers again and I have to say that a couple of my jackets are nylon based but they aren't next to my skin! Do I feel lucky?

Thanks everyone - I will wait for a while for the result of Dave's scorch test with the Haglofs before shelling out.

Malcolm 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Otter Spotter

As a relative newcomer to all the outdoor stuff, when I went on the original mythbusters trip I had to gear up from scratch. Dave recommended the Hagloffs but I didn't know whether I'd like the outdoor life so I was reluctant to spend big money on some trousers that I might not use again. I ended up getting craghoppers, bear grylls branded (I know, I know), but they have done me proud over the past 3 seasons. I generally wear them with a pair of thermals but that's just personal preference. I would definitely recommend them as a mid priced item. They are on the way out now though and I am hoping that mr claus will bring me the hagloffs this year  :D
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Go To Front Page