News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pike hooks

Started by Malcolm, February 01, 2013, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I'm very rapidly running out of pike hooks for fly tying. I actually don't know the names of the make I have, I bought them years ago but here's what I'm looking for:

size 4 to 3/0 ultra strong normal shank - definately not very long shank. What are you using and where do you get them? The only ones that seem to match are the Fulling Mill pike hooks which only seem to come in 1/0 and bigger and seem to be 1x longshank which isn't too bad.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Allan Crawford

Probably not much use for you as I havent tied many pike flies recently but I did buy some Partridge Ad Swier a few years ago, but only tied a couple flies, like wise I've used Partridge Salmon Salar singles as well for a few flies, both these models expensive. Last winter I went through Grahams Inverness supply of sea fishing hooks and replaced the trebles on some dexter wedges for a larger single which allowed a rubber tail to be added, great for Pollock. These hooks would do for Pike flies (Ferox flies) and were from Mustad and cheaper.

http://www.mustad.no/pdfcatalog/emea/064-077.pdf

sewin007

I use Ad Sweir hooks and get them from funkyflytying.com.

fergie

corsican dave

mustad 3282 aberdeens for me. cheap as chips and work fine for a variety of pike and saltwater flies (last time i bought some they were £2.69 for 25 in a size 1)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Malcolm

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's given me something to go on. Dave I have some aberdeens but they seem to be very light - although they may well be another make rather than Mustad.
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

I have just used various sea fishing hooks for years.

Malcolm

I'm actually using Aberdeens as suggested by Corsican Dave but I'll try a few others no doubt. 
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page