News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Upwing dries and twisted tippet

Started by Craigie17, June 26, 2013, 03:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigie17

Hi all,

Fishing with my 7' 6" 4wt on the river, I have recently noticed that when casting upwinged dries, I very quickly end up with a bad twist in the tippet. Strangely, I don't appear to have the same issue when chucking klinks, DHEs or other types of fly.

I am using maybe a foot or so of 5x 0.14mm copolymer (Fulling Mill I think), water-knotted to a 9ft tapered leader.

Wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem? The only thinkg I can think is that I am throwing too long a line, and that a false cast or two is causing the problem

Cheers

Craig

Wildfisher

Craig,

I think your problem is those upwing flies if they are the traditional split wing style. They look nice  for sure, but they are almost certainly spinning  when you are casting. This is a common problem with flies that are not very symmetrical. The wings will be acting like a propeller.  You could try a heavier tippet, but I'd replace the split winged flies  with something else.

scotty9

Quote from: admin on June 26, 2013, 03:45:47 PM
Craig,

I think your problem is those upwing flies if they are the traditional split wing style. They look nice  for sure, but they are almost certainly spinning  when you are casting. This is a common problem with flies that are not very symmetrical. The wings will be acting like a propeller.  You could try a heavier tippet, but I'd replace the split winged flies  with something else.

Do this, just get rid of the flies, use different materials or different style of fly. There's nothing worse than flies that spin like nobody's business when you cast them.

haresear

You could also try trimming the wings so that they are the same length as the hackle.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scoobyscott

Had the same on Friday. Tied on a winged Adams and the leader turned into a spring. Chopped the leader back 3 times, tying on the same fly before the penny dropped  :? As pretty as they are I won't be tying anymore winged Adams

Highlander

They certainly did not have these problem many years ago when most "Dry Fly" were upright wings. So what is happening?
As others have said they might just well be "out of balance" Wings longer than the hackle could cause it to act like a propeller.
Or maybe we just cannae tie these any more like they used to.
:)
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

Quote from: Highlander on June 26, 2013, 09:00:34 PM
They certainly did not have these problem many years ago when most "Dry Fly" were upright wings. So what is happening?
As others have said they might just well be "out of balance" Wings longer than the hackle could cause it to act like a propeller.
Or maybe we just cannae tie these any more like they used to.
:)

Could it be our leader/cast material is so much thinner these days?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Quote from: Highlander on June 26, 2013, 09:00:34 PM

Probably much finer modern leader material now which twists more easily?

Highlander

QuoteCould it be our leader/cast material is so much thinner these days?

Certainly a possibility Alex & Harpo. Rods were split cane & could well be in the equation.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Craigie17

Thanks guys,

I suspected the fly, but had never thought of them as a propeller. Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense - the only thing preventing rotation of the fly along its body axis would be a torsional resistance of the tippet material - so I reckon the lighter the tippet, the less able it will be to resist twisting when subjected to a fly with fixed wings acting as a propeller. 

Looks like some fly box attrition is in order. A shame, I like the look of the wee Grizzly Adams!

Go To Front Page