News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

One pot recipes - Wild camping

Started by Wilder the Better, July 25, 2014, 05:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

how about fillets of freshly fly-caught pollack on a bed of saute potatoes? (the non fly-caught ones don't taste as good... :wink:)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Billy

I gave up using milk in my tea and coffee last year to save having to carry it into the hills. I think it tastes better now and I don't think I could take it with milk anymore.

I also came across some wild rasps the other night while I was fishing the Don. Fairly took the edge off my hunger before I headed home for tea.

Billy

Wildfisher

My standard breakfast when camping is variations on good old Scottish porridge.  I premix it in portions and put it in food bags.  Just add boiling water and let it sit a few minutes. Two variations, one salty, one sweet

cup of porridge
salt to your taste
two tablespoons of dried milk

cup of porridge
sugar  to your taste
two tablespoons of dried milk
dried fruit

Sticks to your ribs

I also take a plastic container of jam and lots of oatcakes.

With a few cups of coffee that makes a good  filling breakfast that provides lots of energy, weighs very little and takes minutes to cook.

bibio1

I like pearl barley. Cook in chicken stock then add to a fried onion garlic and chilli. All the ingredients ate light non perishable for a long time and tasty.

Porridge in the morning is a must.

River Chatter

Not strictly a one pot meal as the rice is dealt with seperately, but definitely one of my favs and pretty straight forward.  I used very small Tupperware type containers picked up for about 50p in Morrisons and some other sizes with screw top lids for rice etc.  also, those little plastic bottles containing food flavourings can be recycled and are good for oil, chilli sauce and so on.  Light and cheap.  A Thai meal for one...

Ingredients:

Basmati or Jasmine Rice (1/4 cup)

A little (about a tablespoon) red, green or yellow Thai paste (Chinese supermarket tubs are best for this) in a wee plastic container mixed with a little sunflower oil.

A small onion or two shallots

A little sachet of creamed coconut (Pataks do it) or break some off a block and put in wee Tupperware container.

A little Thai fish sauce, again in a small container.

1 lime (fresh is best)

Fresh coriander (if eating on first day out)

Meat/fish/shellfish/Veg - depending what you like and how long you can keep it fresh.  I like pork or chicken with maybe a bit of diced aubergine or some mushrooms.  Up to you.

Some water, about a cup or a little less and some more for the rice.

Method:

Put the rice into a pot and cover with COLD water.  Easiest way to gauge how much water is by sticking your finger to the bottom of the pot and seeing how deep the rice goes.  The water level above the rice should be the same depth from the top of the rice - if that makes sense.  Bring the rice to the boil without the lid on.  Once boiling put the lid on and simmer (if your stove adjusts) for about a minute and then shake the pot and set aside with the lid still on.   If you don't have a lid a bit of tinfoil does the job.   Don't be tempted to remove the lid for a fly look as this will release the heat and steam and prevent the rice from absorbing any remaining water.   A towel over the top of it can be used in colder weather to keep the pot warm.  By shaking the pot you can also tell if there's too much water left.

Now take your other pot and put the curry paste in and stir briefly to release the flavour.  Add the onion and meat/veg you're using.  If doing shellfish this goes in at the end.  Add the coconut cream and fish sauce with some water - enough to just cover the ingredients.  Cook until meat or whatever is cooked, add the fresh coriander if you have it and a good squeeze of lime.  Satisfying and filling.

After doing this dish a couple of times you'll be doing it in your sleep.  Works well with instant noodles too.

River Chatter

And for starters...

Not camp food that immediately springs to mind, but pakora is simple and straight forward to cook.  Downside is you need to carry some veg oil for frying (about pakora depth in the pan), but if left to cool it can be used more than once.

So, pakora.

Before you leave fill a Tupperware or zip bag with about 1Lb of chickpea flower, also called gram flour or besan flour.  Into this add 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 of coriander powder, 1 of chilli powder (or less if you prefer) and some salt to taste.  A half teaspoon of turmeric will give it a nice golden colour too.   You can also toast some whole coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan before going and add these too. 

Other ingredients:

Onion

Filling of your choice.  You can use loads of stuff in pakora, but always include some diced onion.  Cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, fresh mild chilies, potato, chicken and loads of other things.  Might want to cook the likes of potatoes and cauliflower a bit first to soften them.

Anyway, cooking couldn't be simpler.  Mix your flour mixture with some water on a bowl, pot or whatever until lump free and thick enough to just fall off a tablespoon slowly when turned upside down.  Now add your meat or veg.  Don't forget the diced onion.  Then spoon 1 or 2 at a time into your hot oil.  Turn until golden brown.  That's it simple.

If you want a takeaway dip for your pakora then mix tomato ketchup with a little milk and plain yoghurt and add some salt, cumin powder and chilli powder.  Sounds horrible but that's how 'pink sauce' is made.   Better made on the day so ingredients will add to the carry in weight.  Or the takeaway red sauce which isn't as nice but ok... tomato ketchup, chilli powder, water, salt and a few diced onions.  Wee sachets from Burger King et al is good for milk, ketchup and so on... but you pilfering lot know that already lol :)

Harpo

Sometimes I take a home made meal frozen in one of the containers from the Chinese. Meatballs, curry, chilli
Use the frozen pot to keep other stuff cold on day 1 and cook it at night.
Those mr bens micro rice pouches are good as well, can be heated with some water and there are loads of variations now including risotto

Wilder the Better

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Love curry so some good uns to try. Off to Assynt Thursday for 4 days! Can't wait. Cheers.  Dave

Part-time

Not up to John's curry standards by a long way but does me :) - tin of Tesco chicken Jalfrezi and one of those uncle bens pouches of ready in 2 minutes rice. To save using two mess tins I now just heat the curry and then add the rice directly rather than heating separately.  Works fine with a tin of chilli too.

Not cooking but for breakfast I like a couple of butteries (rowies if you're from Aberdeen) with honey out of one of those squeezy bottles. Flat shape makes them easy to pack, doesn't matter if they get squashed and full of calories (lard :))

I'm going to try bere bannocks this year; pre mix dry ingredients in a freezer bag before heading out then all you need to do out on the hill is add water and mix in the bag then cook in pan/mess tin, turn over after 5 minutes:
-1 cup of beremeal
-half cup plain flour
-half tsp baking soda
-half tsp cream of tartar
-salt to taste

corsican dave

Quote from: claretbumble on July 29, 2014, 09:20:58 AM
You catch potatoes on fly?  :makefun
i'll try for anything, you should know that by now  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page