News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Last minute present?

Started by Fishtales, December 17, 2015, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

He might well be a scumbag but there are plenty more of that ilk out there. If we did not use them then we might well be wearing sackcloth. Does not make it right but is sadly the way of the world at the moment.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Amazon use tax avoidance schemes - better not buy anything from them then. But wait!  Phil Boswell MP for Coatbridge was caught doing  the same thing recently and has been defended by his colleagues, so buying from Amazon must be OK.  Then there's the Chinese occupying Tibet and currently stealing islands from their neighbours including the Philippines  while the Chinese  navy protects Chinese fishermen who are systematically destroying the coral reefs around them. Ah well, then, no more Chinese goods either!

burnie

I know it's impossible to not support some of the exploitation, but where it's identified I will, thanks to that nice Mrs Thatcher it's damn near impossible to buy British as we don't make much anymore.

Wildfisher

After watching "Bridge Over the River Kwai"  I almost didn't spend  £1000s on Nikon camera equipment, in fact I was all set to buy Leica gear and a VW Golf until I remembered the German death camps in the 1940s. Thinking back to the Vietnam war I was at the point of breaking my Sage rods and buying Hardy until I remembered they were crap and probably made in China anyway.  Gosh this ethical buying is complicated!  :lol:

I'm with Sandy on this, better these people have jobs and if Mike Ashley at Sports Direct is breaking any laws then the  law will deal with him.

Clan Chief

To be honest I m not buying from SD because of any moral stance on his exploitation of cheap labour etc etc etc!   :(

corsican dave

about as ethical as you can get is to go to a real shop (even SD or the other "stack it high sell it cheap" emporia if you really have to... :roll:) and buy over the counter from a real person who will hopefully be over the moon to deal with you. that will make their day and justify their employment. all the rest you have no influence over. buy on-line & you're part of the problem....
oh, and remember to thank them and wish them a merry xmas too, assuming they were half-way competent at their job & pleasant to deal with
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Inchlaggan

It should be pointed out that tax avoidance is not illegal (tax evasion is). It would be imprudent for a company to pay any tax that it did not need to- the shareholders would not be happy. Even more so for charities where there is a legal obligation placed on the trustees to ensure that monies are used as efficiently as possible. Our political leaders have invented two new concepts - "aggressive tax avoidance" bollocks, close the loopholes- and "moral obligation to pay your share of tax"-probably in respect of much of government expenditure but most of us can easily make a list of ways in which our taxes are spent that we are morally or ethically opposed to.

As to buying ethically- commission a craftsman/artisan to make what you need. Materials, overheads, time (at the minimum wage), a modest profit and VAT- prepared to pay that?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on December 18, 2015, 02:23:41 PM
It should be pointed out that tax avoidance is not illegal (tax evasion is). It would be imprudent for a company to pay any tax that it did not need to

We all do it when we get the tax free allowance on our earnings or put our savings in an ISA. Yes we get it automatically, but there is nothing to prevent those of us who disagree with legal tax avoidance giving the tax we save to charity.   :D

loch coulter

Quote from: admin on December 17, 2015, 11:02:36 PM
He's giving Rangers shit, so he can't be all bad.   :lol:
so, thats us back to the fishing forum then! :x

Wildfisher

It's a joke Tommy lighten up. If you want more fishing topics then go ahead and post some instead of just moaning about it.  :lol:

Go To Front Page