News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lavvu / teepee style tents

Started by SoldierPmr, March 26, 2016, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

Later this year I'm thinking of going for this.

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=18848444

Has any one got any experience with lavvu style tents? I have been looking around at them for awhile and most are huge and very heavy at 6kg I can't really complain as one of my 4 man tents is around 7.5kg.

I like the idea that you can set up a wood stove inside and make it rather homely compared to other lower to the ground tents.

Bobfly

Could be a bit of a condensation tent in the UK with a single skin waterproof and fireproof fabric ?? Not too much of a problem in Scandinavian conditions. Have you looked at the Salewa Denali IV which comes in at 3.5Kg and only £210 or so. Cheaper and lighter and a well made tent.  Are you thinking to carry a fire set-up for the teepee??
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Bobfly on March 26, 2016, 01:41:30 PM
Could be a bit of a condensation tent in the UK with a single skin waterproof and fireproof fabric ?? Not too much of a problem in Scandinavian conditions. Have you looked at the Salewa Denali IV which comes in at 3.5Kg and only £210 or so. Cheaper and lighter and a well made tent.  Are you thinking to carry a fire set-up for the teepee??

Yea I have been looking around at the smaller more portable stoves though most still have some weight to them. For around £150 there is a small stove which attaches to the center pole of the lavvu though it looks like it's mainly for cooking as I can imagen for its size that it wouldn't burn for more than an hour.

I was thinking about the condensate issue there seems to be plenty of vent systems and like most tents I have ever been in you will always suffer it.

corsican dave

Liam, before you go shopping I've got a brand new bergans lavvo 4-6 that is unlikely to get used. we could maybe come to terms?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Hi Dave I had alook at the bergans lavvu though it's out my price range brand new. what sort of weight and pack size is it? I'm not going to be able to afford it until the tail end of the year either.

corsican dave

well, it's not going anywhere in a hurry. i'll dig it out and get some dimensions for you. it's much lighter than I expected, and more compact too, although I wouldn't backpack solo with it. I think the listed weight is 4.9kg?

something to think about, anyway. i'd kinda got the figure of £200 in my head, plus a bit of postage (probably around a tenner at a guess). I just checked and we'd mentioned it before on the for sale/wanted thread?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Thanks Dave I'll dig the thread up and have a look.

Go To Front Page