News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

THICK OR THIN ?

Started by Bobfly, February 23, 2017, 05:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

Just working through the customary pre-season checking of lines and reels and suchlike when a conversation with No2 son who is very much into cycling had him talking about various bike chain and rear cassette lubes. Bike fanatics are keen NOT to use greases and oils which will hold onto grit and dirt and instead prefer assorted silicon and PTFE sprays.I have used all sorts of quite thick greases on reel spindles and pawl checks as well as fairly light oils like 3in1. Not really had any particular problems.
What do folk with a bit of engineering knowledge reckon is the best approach and products given newer lubes out there?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Billy

Nothing to do with the recent references to the gender thing but what about vaseline. :gay4

Only kidding but I have recently bought 3 in 1 silicon spray to use on a padlock which was acting up a bit in the cold weather. I was going to give that a try on my reels before the season starts.
It fairly did the trick on the padlock.

Billy

Inchlaggan

More important is how regularly you strip the reel, clean and replace the oil/grease.
In gin-clear conditions, fishing for a week or two per season, an annual going over should do.
Regularly fishing in heavily coloured water, or over sand- at the end of each session.
(Find your place between these extremes!)
For engineering purposes, I use white lithium grease (the same on my reels) where I can get easy access and a silicon spray where I cannot.
One the lathe, replacement would be after every eight hours running time, more frequently if turning iron castings.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Yardbent

Quantum Hot Sauce Fishing Reel Grease Molecular Lubricant

excellent !

Inverguseran

Lithium grease is a great general purpose grease on reel spindles. I am not a fan of silicon, if it gets on to the plates of a disc drag reel you have problems cleaning it off.

Fishtales

Being an Electrical Engineer in another life I haven't stripped and regreased my reel in years. I do remember I used automotive grease once :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Highlander

Lithium based grease for the spindle, a touch of 3in1 oil for everything else. Works as good as anything else. Knowing when to "clean" the reel is more important. If ingress of sand or salt water use, I strip reel, wash under  strong tap water, wipe all parts with a paraffin rag, grease spindle & re-oil moving parts
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page