News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Long Shot

Started by Inchlaggan, August 31, 2017, 10:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

This is not any part of this forum, but if anyone can help- or point me in the right direction- I would be most grateful.
Tried to install a new piece of hardware to my PC (a CNC machine). The software installs perfectly. The device manager also, and the machine works.
Restarting the PC causes no problems.
But, if I shut down the PC and start up again I get error messages along the lines of "device not detected" or "Driver not installed"
What the heck is the difference between "restart" and "Shutdown" followed by "start up"?
Windows 7 , 32 bit.
Thanks in advance.
Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

I've just seen this Ken, sorry to be so late. I no longer know the definitive answer to this sort of stuff so this is me thinking out loud, i it doesn't fit ignore it and if it helps well and good...

I have a PC with a fairly early implementation of USB 3 and I also have lots of external USB 3 hard disks. If I turn the machine on then, more often than not, it comes up with a USB 2 driver associated with the hard disks. However, on a reboot it usually manages to come up with the drives associated with a USB 3 driver.

My thoughts are that this is something to do with the time it takes either the computer, or the hard disk, hardware to "wake up" and start seeing that it has drives attached on its ports. I can't completely explain it, and can't tie it down precisely, but my guess is that if you do a reboot then maybe your CNC machine has remained powered and is still polling for a port, or your PC USB ports have remained powered and so Windows sees them and associates the correct driver with them very quickly on bootup. It could be a combination of the two things. Turn the computer on from cold and either the CNC machine isn't up in time to be associated with a driver, or the USB (or whatever) port you are using isn't up in time for the OS to see that it requires a specific driver.

One thing that helped my performance was doing a firmware update for the motherboard and chipset in the PC and it should be possible to get updated USB drivers for your motherboard as well. This might resolve your problem completely. My problem isn't completely resolved, but it is very usable now and doesn't really cause a practical problem for me plus I bought the PC as a refurb for a few hundred quid so I really can't complain as this is its only "fault."

Inchlaggan

Thanks for that, I 'll give it a try.

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."