News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rio Versitip line - its days are over

Started by caorach, September 23, 2018, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

Some may remember that about 2 years back I asked about the Rio Versitip lines and I ended up buying one as I wanted the advantages of having differing sink rates without needing extra reels or spools.

I think I used the line for my 3 week trip in 2016 and then for about 7 weeks in 2017 and then this year I've been on Lewis for about 10 weeks in total but certainly haven't been fishing anything close to every day plus I use other rod and line combinations as well so we might be looking at 40 days fishing in total. Over the last while the line has slowly been failing, it started with significant discolouration and no matter what I did in the way of cleaning it wasn't for clearing up. Then the line started cracking and it has now, basically, failed.

It is a good line in terms of doing something that it is really useful for me to have the ability to do but for the sort of price they now charge for them (£160!!!!!) it is very expensive indeed in view of the rather short life, in saying that I think I paid a little less at around £130 when I bought it at first. However, despite saying all of this I've ordered a replacement as I've another 3 weeks fishing ahead of me and I need something to put on the reel and don't want to be buying spare spools etc. for it plus I want to be able to fish at least a floater and an intermediate and might need a sinker depending on how the water shapes up. It does pain me to be ordering something that has failed on me after a fairly short life considering the price.

Here's what the line looks like now:

sagecirca

I suggest you contact Richard at Guide fly fishing who import Rio lines to the UK and explain what little use this line has had.  I have had a couple of Rio LT lines replaced by him over the years for similar issues. His email address is....

richard@guideflyfishing.co.uk

Good luck.

Bobfly

Orvis ( and others) do 10ft Salmon leaders from floating to extra fast sink rate. £tenner each, less for set from some in a wallet. Could be workable for a shot time.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page