News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rocketing Fishing Accommodation Costs

Started by Wildfisher, February 16, 2022, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Out of interest I had a look at the availability of Corriekinloch today, a cottage I have hired many times. I was last there in 2017 and it  cost under £500 for the week. It now costs about £750 and is fully booked for the prime fishing months.

I suspect it's supply and demand, too much demand pushes prices high.

Seems that the cost of highland holiday accommodation is going stratospheric, be it cottage hire or mediocre hotel accommodation with pretentious dinner menus and very expensive beer.

Anyone else aware of this?  To be honest I would choose not to pay these prices for what is pretty mediocre fishing and not really any better than I have locally. I'd rather go abroad, covid willing, but I do wonder if it may just be these places are no longer interested in anglers when there is a ready supply of Porsche driving NC500ers with thick wallets and platinum plus credit cards.

You can see why camper-vans have become so popular!   :D

burnie

Cost of places in the Hebrides have rocketed too, won't be going this year due to this.

Wildfisher

I know Richard and another issue is record fuel costs. The highland fishing holiday is fast becoming a luxury for the rich only!

Fishtales

One of the reasons I prefer a wild camp and tent. Even campsite prices are going through the roof up there.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: Fishtales on February 16, 2022, 07:21:41 PM
Even campsite prices are going through the roof up there.

Applecross campsite is £12 per person for small tents. It is a lot for a square of grass, but to be fair there are facilities if you choose to use them. Again it's supply and demand, it is always full.

arawa

I looked at cottages on Orkney last year. Almost nothing available and sky-high prices.
But I do wonder if things will change when people start flooding abroad again

burnie

Looking at the amount on the roads already, it would seem most are buying camper vans and parking for free on Arbroath sea front.

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on February 16, 2022, 09:46:18 PM
But I do wonder if things will change when people start flooding abroad again

Much of this has certainly been caused by covid home demand, so we shall see. That said prices usually only go in one direction.

arawa

Quote from: admin on February 17, 2022, 09:38:18 AM
Much of this has certainly been caused by covid home demand, so we shall see. That said prices usually only go in one direction.

Irrespective of demand changes, the cost of providing hospitality services has risen sharply so prices are unlikely to drop.
But I am told the secondhand price of campervans has fallen :)

Wildfisher

Yeah, the cost of everything is on the way up. I was astonished at the 50% hike of the Corriekinloch rent. It's just not worth it fishing wise, but I expect we are no longer the target market. Hard to see where to go now unless you want to camp, campervan  or caravan. A lot of the old fishing hotels were taken over by clueless incomers who quickly dismantled the old customer model and ruined them. Cape Wrath Hotel is the classic example. When Jack sold up it was ruined in a year. Then  you have The Tomdoun, the Overscaig, the Forsinard etc

Go To Front Page