News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tapered Leaders

Started by east wind, March 05, 2022, 12:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Seems the Profil Selecta 15ft tapered leaders I've used for donkey's years have disappeared from the shops.
Don't know if it's a production issue or they've been discontinued but I'm now looking at alternatives without much luck. Trouthunter have a 14ft but a fiver a pop!!!

Any recommendations out there?
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

The 9 foot ones still seem to be available, perhaps it's just a temporary shortage like many other things. You could just add a few feet of tippet on the 9 footer?

Bobfly

I have used Hardy copolymer ones at 12ft with a few feet added on so the last bit added wears back slowly.
Not used 15ft all in one but the Leeda Profil were very good value.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

east wind

Quote from: admin on March 05, 2022, 01:09:24 PM
The 9 foot ones still seem to be available, perhaps it's just a temporary shortage like many other things. You could just add a few feet of tippet on the 9 footer?

I noticed the 9 footers were still about so hopefully just a production issue. I have some spare Leeda 9ft for smaller waters but any more than 3ft of added tippet and my turnover goes to rats.

east wind

Quote from: Bobfly on March 05, 2022, 01:10:37 PM
I have used Hardy copolymer ones at 12ft with a few feet added on so the last bit added wears back slowly.
Not used 15ft all in one but the Leeda Profil were very good value.

Aye, the Hardy 12ft are pretty decent and feel robust. I'll add three feet of tippet as well. Rio and Fulling Mill are other 12 footers I find OK, though if memory serves, the Rio kinks fairly easily and the Fulling Mill is a bit wirery. Or is it the other way round.

15ft of total length really should be sufficient, but when the water levels drop to summer levels and trout get choosy I like to try and get 18ft out beyond the fly line.

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on March 05, 2022, 01:47:45 PM
the Rio kinks fairly easily

Yes, many suffer from that which is why I also started  using Leeda Profil.

Highlander

I note maxima are doing them now. Will buy a couple next time up at GAC to give them a go. The LEEDA ones have been around for a while now & are very good. Would like to see them still in production. Have not tried any others but why change a good thing.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

east wind

Maxima would be worth a try out. Unfortunately they are another brand that don't manufacture a 15ft length.

sagecirca

Stroft do them in 15th lengths although just as pricey as you'd imagine. I've been using them for a wee while along with some of the camo and ghost leaders from Wychwood. Can't complain, they do what it says on the tin. I used to use the old Varivas ones but I haven't seen them for sale for quite some time.

east wind

Quote from: sagecirca on March 09, 2022, 11:51:24 AM
Stroft do them in 15th lengths although just as pricey as you'd imagine. I've been using them for a wee while along with some of the camo and ghost leaders from Wychwood. Can't complain, they do what it says on the tin. I used to use the old Varivas ones but I haven't seen them for sale for quite some time.

Just back from GAC. Ended up with a couple of the Trouthunter 14ft ones.
They had Varivas 15ft but only in 6X. Remember buying Varivas a few years back but the thin end was so fine I had no confidence so they went straight to the bin. I like them a bit more "industrial"

I'll keep the Stroft in mind, cheers, though I'm cautious reading the debates on Stroft knot strength etc. Perhaps I'm over thinking things.

Go To Front Page