News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What was the first fly you tied?...

Started by Guest_8, May 05, 2022, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonepark

Pretty sure it was a Red Tag or Black Pennel, Kilmaurs Fly Tying Club circa 1984.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Highlander

A Black Spider, was around 12yrs when my Dad took me to fly tying lessons at Govan High School night classes.
My first purchases were black cobblers wax, black hackles & black Naples silk. All kept in an old OXO tin. Fly has long gone but still have some of the wax even after 60 years. I do have a size 12 Curry Shrimp that was given by the resident instructor that.caught my first Salmon some years later. 9lb it was from Coolies Lynn on the River Endrick. Others I have kept are a dry size 16 Cinnamon Sedge that took a 6lb + Brown from Balgray Reservoir (Not a stockie). A size 14 Woodcock & Mixed that took a dozen good Clyde Trout one Spring day down stream from Wolf Clyde Bridge. Probably a few others tucked away somewhere
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Guest_8

Some nice memories by the sounds of that Highlander.

@stonepark I wonder if there's still a fly tying club around Kilmaurs, apparently there's one in Dreghorn that I'll hopefully get to post season.

Stonepark

Quote from: GallowayBlueline on May 17, 2022, 10:16:09 AM
Some nice memories by the sounds of that Highlander.

@stonepark I wonder if there's still a fly tying club around Kilmaurs, apparently there's one in Dreghorn that I'll hopefully get to post season.

Unfortunately, I have no idea, something tells me it was associated with Kilmaurs Angling Club at the time when they still had access to North Craig reservoir before it was drained?

Dreghorn is only 4-5 miles away so it may be your best bet.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Chase

Like Highlander mine was a Black spider . I can still remember catching a 10" brownie on it and feeling chuffed. Sadly, the fly unravelled shortly after.

Go To Front Page