News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Humphing and Heying!

Started by Wildfisher, June 29, 2022, 03:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

To slip into the local Arbroath  vernacular For years I've "humphed and heyed"  over getting an e-mountain bike to replace my old Iron Horse. You see I'm not as young as I once was and there are these rather excellent hill lochs I know......... :)

Well I tried supporting local dealers and the experience was not good – you know how it is "yes sir we will know about availability by Wednesday – leave your number and we'll phone you"

Still waiting for the call.

Can I justify  £2.5 or £3K on something that will only get occasional use or will I just pay £1K at Halfords?

I went to Halfords, or rather I ordered it online and DHL came with a massive box.

I just did 10 miles, up hill and down dale in a howling gale. There is NO WAY I'd have gone out in that with The Iron Horse.

I can only give one bit of advice. Get one, they are fecking incredible.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vengeance-e-mens-electric-mountain-bike-2.0---18in-20in-frames-446110.html

Guest_8

Fred, I'm 47, run 20 miles a week, hill walk a fair bit too, and I've got one! Lots of folk claim they'll get one when they're getting on  bit, madness, they're amazing!. I've had it for a year now, and my other MTB hasn't turned a wheel since, I really should just get rid.

Enjoy. Headwinds are a thing of the past.  ;D

Wildfisher

I did 15miles on mixed road and track this morning. Exhilarating if dodgy for a 70 year old balance wise. I won't be doing any down hilling.  ;D
Conclusion - I need to fit mudguards. ::)

Right now I'm out the back figuring how to take the wheels on and off. Lots of stuff to avoid damaging - better learn now so I know what to expect if I get a flat 5 miles up a track  and know what tools I need  :)

burnie

We've had Volt bikes for a few years now, just mind going through deep water, the motors aren't as water proof as we might think.

arawa

Quote from: admin on June 30, 2022, 03:08:26 PM

Right now I'm out the back figuring how to take the wheels on and off. Lots of stuff to avoid damaging - better learn now so I know what to expect if I get a flat 5 miles up a track  and know what tools I need  :)
Do learn Fred. This happened to me a good 5 miles from the car with plenty of up and down in between. E-bikes are no fun to push..
I now carry a spare inner tube.

Wildfisher

Spare tube is the way to go, they are cheap enough anyway. I'm glad I spent the afternoon removing and replacing the wheels. The drive wheel is a serious faff but at least I know what to do now.

Guest_8

Drop it down to the smallest cog on the cassette (the hardest one) before flipping the bike over Fred (and you do need to flip an ebike over, there's no way you're holding the bike in one hand and refitting wheel in the other, like the roadies do!) - this makes it a lot easier. It can be a wee bit of faff, especially as you have to get the brake disc aligned too, but after you've done it a few times it's a lot easier.

Go To Front Page