News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Poacher's Rod

Started by Wildfisher, July 03, 2022, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Or travel rod if you prefer.  ;)

Ordered one of these 8 1/2 foot  #5 weight, just to see what it was like.  Should fit discretely into the rucksack.

Anyone tried these rods?

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/shakespeare-oracle-2-exp-fly-rod.html

Bobfly

I have a 7 piece 9ft 6wt in that series and it is surprisingly good in the blank but understandably fairly basic in the fittings. I was given it as an unexpected present so it was even better value. Fits in the top pocket of the float tube. It had no outer maker's protective tube case so I made one with a short piece of shed guttering downpipe.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

With the 7 pc design and the budget price tag I'm not expecting it to be like my Sage ZXL  ;D   but having a very portable rod is handy sometimes.  I expect it will be a bit poker-like.

Keith74

Got a 9ft 6 and love it. Don't get me wrong it's not much compared to my hardy rods but for the price it's good.

Use mine for hill lochs where I spend more time walking than fishing.
Fits easily in a small rucksack so no more lugging big tubes strapped to bags up hills. Plus now is always left in the van with a reel and few flys just incase and takes no space up so keeps the mrs happy (ish)

Guest_8

I think this is the newer version of the agility 2? I bought mine for the same reason as Keith, for the Galloway hill lochs. Have only used it a couple of times, seems pretty good.

Bobfly

You will not find it poker like if it is anything like mine. I would give it more towards medium and not tippy and stiff. I expect you will be very pleased after 10 minutes on the water .... unless they have stiffened it up since I got mine !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Sean Freeman

I've got one of the newer demon smugglers for lochs where a gamey might be a problem! Excellent fishing rod but a bit fragile.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Sean Freeman on July 04, 2022, 12:56:08 AM
I've got one of the newer demon smugglers for lochs where a gamey might be a problem!

A useful  thing to have. There are so many lochs with no commercial fishing value and you know that asking for permission is a sure way to be met with a blanket refusal. I don't blame the estates, I'd likely say no myself were I in their position  Saying yes is a sure-fire way to end up with a trashed loch, dead fish, litter,   all the usual stuff. I certainly do not condone poaching, but I have heard it said that the best way is just go with stealth, take no fish and leave no trace. No one is any the wiser, no one gets angry, no one gets hassle. I guess this is where the rod in the rucksack comes into it's own. I wouldn't know though.   :)

burnie

I wonder how Dod is doing, never hear from him these days............................

Guest_8

Is it poaching if you don't take a fish?  8)

I've a hill loch locally that is on an estate owned by folk that I have little respect for, given their record. I'll happily spend an hour on the water, I don't take fish nor leave anything but footprints.

Go To Front Page