News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Re: Shakespear fly rods and reel

Started by Wildfisher, September 29, 2007, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: black-don on September 29, 2007, 08:19:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience of the shakespear expedition fly rods

Aye.  Buy a March Brown!   :D

Malcolm

Black Don

Most of my salmon are caught on fairly light tackle when I'm fishing for sea trout. Many have been caught on an old David Norwich 9.5ft for a 6/7 and I've had salmon to the mid teens on it and some big sea trout, it's ideal for small spate rivers and will serve for most things. I personally wouldn't go lighter if salmon were a regular quarry. An 11 footer for an 8 is a bit of a beast, don't buy one until you've tried using one for a couple of hours as many people simply can't use them. I know you fish the Endrick so PM me if you want to try mine.

I have had a few decent fish on lighter tackle with no real problems but I wouldn't choose to fish for salmon with my very light tackle!       
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

I'll Second Malcolm's words.  I get the odd Salmon on my sea-trout set up (9'6" 7 weight) and it handles them OK but I've found my trout set up (4 and 5 weight) is totally inadequate (exciting but inadequate) for handling Salmon, or bigger sea trout come to think of it.

I think that a 5/6 weight might just about handle a 10lb Salmon but I would not go targetting them with one.

Norm

doogs

I bought an 8'6" Greys G series #5 this summer specifically for the rivers and for ?50-?60 depending on where you go, it's pretty good value.  It's a cracking wee 3 pce rod and fits nicely into a small carry tube. I'm well chuffed with it and it comes with a lifetime gurantee.

Highly recommended

Wildfisher

nant_fisher

The pfluegler trion reel is excellent, maybe a touch on the heavy side but the drag system is excellent and it looks great.
Adventure time

Go To Front Page