News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cane Rods

Started by Wildfisher, May 02, 2008, 10:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Interesting comment by Magnus in another thread about the affection some hold for cane.  A lot of folk still look back fondly on cane rods. I have to say that from a fishing point of view I find this hard to understand. Yes, I remember loving  my first car, a rusting Ford Anglia, but I?d rather take advantage of the increased performance and economy that  modern technology  offers.

There is no doubt that aesthetically cane rods are fine. They are things of beauty. However, compared to even  moderately well designed modern carbon rods they are heavy, slow and clumsy.

I think the love of cane is largely retrospective. They take us back to  days when Hovis vans drove slowly along city streets that were safe for children  to play on. When beer cost a shilling a pint.  When Rob Bros lemonade lorry drivers enjoyed nothing better than  stopping  and  having  a kick about with the local kids playing street football. In other words they take us back to an era that never existed in the way our selective memories might have us believe.

That said I?d still like to own a cane rod. I?d most probably hang it on the wall rather than fish with it though.

greenwell

Quote from: adminHowever, compared to even  moderately well designed modern carbon rods they are heavy, slow and clumsy.

Heavy, use one for a fortnight you won't even notice the weight. Slow, why is that a problem if the user is a competent caster? There are plenty of modern, lifeless, very slow carbon rods out there. Clumsy, not sure what you mean by that.

Greenwell

haresear

I reckon cane is nice to use if the rod is short enough. No way would I want to cast a 10 footer, but for lengths of say 8' or less I think they are fine.

For wee streams, I reckon cane is perfectly viable. As Sandfly says, they are nice to play a fish on.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: greenwell on May 02, 2008, 11:52:20 PM
There are plenty of modern, lifeless, very slow carbon rods out there. Clums

there certainly are, mostly made by Daiwa

Go To Front Page