News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sleeping Bags ??????again

Started by Wildfisher, January 08, 2009, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Being heartily sick of the weight and bulk (taking up ? the rucksack) of synthetic sleeping bags I decided on a new 3 season down bag to take to NZ. I already  have an old Black?s Polar and a Rab (which kept me comfy at below -10 in the Himalayas)  but  they are far too hot and bulky for summer use.

Bought a  brand new Vango Venom 300 on FleeBay for ?60. Just got it.

First impressions are:

Very light ? well under 1KG  (800 gram fill I think)

Long zip with insulated zip-tube

Packs down to a tiny size, less than half  that of the synthetic  summer bag I use now.

A very tight fit, would be  no use at all if you are petitely (is there such a word)  challenged (i.e. a fat bastard)

Anyone have any experience of these bags?

Crawhin

Fred - I've an older one (mine has the half length zip). It's a good down sack at a very good price. Like you say can't beat them for weight to warmth ration and pack size. Best to have it snug rather than roomy as space = dead air = colder bag (tho you've still got to be able to comfortably get into it of course)  :lol: . I do find Vango's comfort and extreme temperature ratings to be more than a wee bit on the optimistic side however (and I'm not a cold sleeper particularly)  :McSleep; . Use mine in the UK, late Spring through to mid Autumn whenever I'm carrying a pack any distance to camp and have never had any problems.

A good tip for sacks (especially down ones) that are used regularly/on long trips is to use a silk liner. Adds a bit more warmth and comfort for very little weight and is a lot easier to clean when it gets grubby/smelly than a down bag (you don't want to wash them too often really). Grannies/sucking eggs to an old man of the mountains like yerself though.  :D

Cheers, 

Ian

shadar

I've just had a look on outdoorsmagic and although it got a couple of good reviews it is pretty narrow at 75cms.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewProductReviews/mps/rpn/3339/prod/Vango-Venom-300/rcn/22/rgn/9/v/3/sp/#2050

I had an Aztec Summit bag which was 80cms wide, and found that to be excellent but a bit tight. So after a bit of research i bought a Mont Bell Superstrech #3 which is rated to -1c and at 700g packs away to slightly larger than a swiss roll. It's very comfortable stretching for ever while turning in your sleep and i would say that the -1 rating is a bit ambitious, being more like +2. Though as Ian pointed out a silk liner would probably get it to it's claimed rating. The Big Agnes bags are also worth considering larger than the norm, but a dedicated sleeping mat has to be bought with them.

You can see them here:  http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/Other/Sleeping+Bags.htm?osCsid=3ee9dfd7a65168f663a546a52ed3943e

Malcolm

I only use a summer weight bag down to 10deg - It's seldom that I camp out of the late spring or summer. However I sometimes carry a fleece liner with me which extends the temperature range by about 5deg.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Bison

Personally I can't see past my old army issue sleeping bag.  I don't like the mummy style bags which are so narrow at the bottom that you can't move your feet about, but the army bag has got plenty space which is fine for me as I'm not exactly svelte, so there's room to jiggle about inside (ooerr missus!). 

I got mine on ebay for about ?30 and I've slept out on the hills around glenshee in the snow  :crap with just a goretex bivvi bag for cover and an inflatable mat and was warm enough.  Unfortunately it is a bit heavy and bulky, but I'm happy to make that sacrifice for a good night's sleep.

Malcolm

75cm chest width! Hope your skinny - otherwise looks great.
To jaw like this

Guddler

If you don't mind supporting their quest for global capitalist supremacy, Tesco Direct are doing an 800g down bag with a comfort rating of 3.8 to 8.4 degrees C for less than ?35.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

I've got a Snugpak Softie Autumn which is brilliant for cold weather but a bit on the heavy side at 1450g. It is only 75cm chest width as well, same as the Tesco one, and has plenty of room for me although I'm only a short'n'stout 44" chest.

Malcolm

Too late! I use an 82cm wide bag which is barely enough for me - 45" chest.
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page