News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Is It Legal?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2009, 11:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

Bet you're glad you weren't temped to see if any grayling were around Alan. BTW, don't you mean the Kelvin?

scotty9

Quote from: River Chatter on February 13, 2010, 06:43:19 PM
Bet you're glad you weren't temped to see if any grayling were around Alan. BTW, don't you mean the Kelvin?

Yep on the kelvin.

Yesterday the chap asked "have you caught anything" the time before I was asked "when does the season start mate" but once you say you're practising no-one gives a sh1t! I personally cannot see anyone ever being charged with such a thing, pretty sure the court system would laugh it off assuming no protection order breaches etc.

scotty9

Quote from: wildhibroon on February 13, 2010, 10:19:07 PM
I LIKE ladies (so does Alan) in my case that INCLUDES the "lady of the stream"  :D

Going on my basic biology knowledge. Don't we need males and females to spawn?

So does that mean you like lady-boys?  :lol: :lol:

Ptinid

Quote from: Alan on December 23, 2009, 04:53:31 PM
beat me to it, with no 'intent' and no 'act' it could be argued that no crime was committed,

could kick off the next evolution in conservative angling, following on from catch and release, 'rise and release' is born :lol:

I'm sure I recall a letter (in the early 90s) in one of the fishing mags from a fly tyer who chops the bend and 'pointy end' of the hook off. This allows fish to rise to the fly and then spit it out, thus proving that his tying had fooled the fish and that had he wished to he could have landed it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Fishtales

I count a successful day if I feel a fish to the wet fly or see a fish rise to the surface flies. It proves to me that I had the right fly or was fishing the right way to fool the fish. Catching and landing the fish is a bonus but only proves how quick my reactions are not how good a fisherman I am   :worms :crap
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Ptinid

Quote from: fishtales on February 14, 2010, 02:31:07 PM
I count a successful day if I feel a fish to the wet fly or see a fish rise to the surface flies.

Oh. god - that's a frustrating day  :?

I do like to land a fish - and I don't always succeed. It's the whole thing - including the eating of a reasonable proportion that I like.

But it does beg the question (going back on topic - albeit briefly), would the use of a fly with no hook on it be strictly legal? I'd expect not, as you are deliberately attempting to affect the fish, and there is a risk that if swallowed completely, the line could foul on the gills.

Apropo this, would it be possible to tie a fly sufficiently woolly to entangle trouts teeth, like can be done with eels and balls of string+worms?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Fishtales

While teaching a mate of mine, who was just taking up fly fishing, how to cast, I caught half a dozen small trout from the surface on a piece of red wool tied to the end of the cast. Landed and released all of them and rose at least the same again :) By the third one I had an audience of dog walkers, joggers and anglers who couldn't believe I didn't have a fly on. Admittedly they were all 4-6 inch fish which the cooncil had put in the previous week :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Teither

Re Malcolm's post on 23 December last, I am the same Teither who raised the issue on the Salmon Fishing Forum. Before and since then I've had the devil's own job trying to get anything definitive on this subject, and especially in the context of the Outdoor Access Code, from the Scottish Executive. I spoke with two [ quite obtuse, in my view ] individuals in the Scottish Executive. Their last word on the subject was to the effects that " the Courts would have to decide ... ".
The matter is of some interest to me and I continue to pursue the issue, next with Roseanna Cunninghame. I shall post word of any outcome, should there be one. Please do not hold your collective breath.
Incidentally, I did discuss this briefly with our lawyer friend at the Casting Club. I know his opinion but I think it would not be appropriate for me to pass on his opinion here. However, I shall continue to practise on the Teith on Sundays if I feel like it, quite comfortable that I should do so with impunity !! I should say that the former bailiff there gave me appropriate permission some time ago, and assured me that the provisions of the OAC afforded the right to practise  casting on the river at any time, subject only to the caveat that individuals so doing are behaving in a responsible manner. I would suggest that practising casting at a place and time where others are actually fishing would not be " behaving responsibly ".

Go To Front Page