News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

People may find fly casting difficult because ..........

Started by Wildfisher, March 29, 2010, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

The true teacher never over-teaches. He gives hints and advice and often is simply there. The learner ends up realizing he wasn't doing that to safeguard his secrets, but rather to protect the immense pleasure that comes from discovering things for oneself.?

Gary.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on March 29, 2010, 05:46:55 PM
I honestly believe in casting there is only so much "why" someone can teach someone else and it sure as hell is not done in an hour.

Perhaps that first hour should be spent with the instructor demonstrating and discussing the basic  whys  and the way they relate  to the hows and to the outcomes. The best explanation of fly casting I ever had was down to Magnus making a few sketches on a few bits of paper (I still have them). There was no rod involved at that point.

scotty9

He's quite the casting dude though!  :8)

Yes probably a very good idea. Then comes the issue of the pupil, do they actually want to learn? I know it sounds a silly question but I imagine there'd be a few that would tell you where to go with the theory, they don't need that etc etc and then those that would feel they are not getting their "money's worth" since all you did was talk. I agree though, if you have a genuinely interested person, wanting to really learn that is a great idea.

I'd love a well researched answer to this, even if it just entailed that there was none. With Dave the other week I started talking about how to change the loop turnover speed without altering the cast and then realised, hang on this is waaaay more than he needs to know now! It's easy to go into far too much detail too. I don't know, maybe the best way is just to tailor absolutely everything to results and feedback?

Inchlaggan

I go with most of what has been said above.
To which I will add- remove the jargon.
Ask what sort of activities the pupil has mastered in the past. Tennis, squash, badminton and golf players, to name a few, understand timing and not forcing by muscle power, so do seamstresses, carpenters, and hairdressers- let the tool do the work.
Distance is not the aim, nor (at the beginning) is accuracy, understanding the equipment and how to use it is the purpose of the introduction to the noble art.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: buzz on March 29, 2010, 06:28:37 PM
As for the teaching/communicating it i fear its the language used and the explanations that follow, its a bit like physics all those new words.

Which leads to the question is this conspiracy or ineptitude?

Is some of the language chosen in order to make the subject easier to understand or is to try to make instructors look clever and what is a simple concept complex?

scotty9

The language has suffered different organisations/prominent folk calling the same things by different names. I believe they are trying to make it universal, in fact I have a copy of a document of new, revised accepted terms and to be honest they are very straight forward.

Inchlaggan

No, just explain the concept in simple terms- define what you mean, make allowance for the knowledge of the person you are communicating with.
Example- A Winchester can be-
A 2.5L bottle
A data storage disk
A rifle
A city

So "pick up the winchester" can confuse
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on March 29, 2010, 06:52:54 PM
I have a copy of a document of new, revised accepted terms and to be honest they are very straight forward.

Would you like to share this with us?

scotty9

I think terms are just a way to test knowledge - if you have terms you can ask someone can they recite the terms and explain what they mean. Ie - assessment purposes.

But all these terms, you're probably going to use them in serious moderation if teaching someone. Although some of them do provide a useful name to a motion for example. Some are useful to helping understanding, some aren't.

corsican dave

a quick reprise of the original question, at the risk of upsetting everyone.

people may find fly casting difficult because.... they get too hung up on casting!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page