News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Now this is a stiff test!

Started by Malcolm, November 02, 2010, 11:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on November 06, 2010, 02:21:14 PM
expertise comes at a cost though, Micheal Mauri, FFF dude charges 600 quid for a day out! ironic for us that the highest qualified here, Andrew Toft, who also commands a hefty cheque from paying clients, is right there at the casting club.

That's so true Alan. The uniqueness of the Glasgow Casting Club.  

Nothing at all like it in our neck of the woods sadly. You guys do sterling work.

In many ways it's a bit like  the WFF and Fish Wild - an ethos of helping others with no alterior  / commercial motives.

scotty9

Yep, I'd go along with that Fred!

I think many people may think that people helping and not charging money get nothing out of it - very wrong. They are doing what they enjoy, improving themselves and meeting new friends in the process, just like this place indeed!

Wildfisher

I know exactly what you mean Scott. Running these sites  costs me a lot of money and time. It?s completely non commercial save my fly line site  which has been  in operation for a few months, while the other sites have been going for up to 7 years.  Fish Wild is particularly time consuming.

However, I do  get a lot out of it, knowing I?m helping people to help others, helping  to bring people together, to forge friendships, getting better at fishing and casting myself, supporting  the fish related conservation work  of The Don Trust  and  just meeting some damned good folks as well as the complete and utter f**kwits  that  turn up from time to time.

Now all that said I?m a totally ruthless bastard. I edit and delete posts (I?ve already edited and deleted this one  three times), ban members on a whim, starve my dog,  and pull  the legs off spiders.  Most of the accounts here are mine; although you don?t realise it you are in fact me.

I?m pretty bad at a lot of other stuff too, but there is just too much for me to  remember all at once,  so bear with me for a moment ?till I  nip over to Fly Forums to check that  list.

Oh yes,  and I wind folk  up from time to time too.    :lol:

Malcolm

For those that can't pass the stiff test I'll be bringing along a couple of boxes of home baking tomorrow to help drive away the dementors.
Quote from: Alan on November 06, 2010, 11:02:53 PM

specifically on casting, the fastest way to learn is to mess around with loads of rods and lines and try to tune in to each, after a while you can drive any car as it were, its a surprisingly fun thing to do in the right company.
:8)

I have to disagree with that Alan, I think that to learn most quickly you have to tune into the rhythms of your own equipment learning it's capabilities in a variety of conditions.

One of the things about fly fishing that is so difficult to pick up is that it is incredibly sensitive to what I'll call micro timing. This doesn't seem apparent to the experienced fisherman - a wind catches on the back cast or the current tugs unexpectedly water tugs and the experienced fisherman makes a slight adjustment and everything is hunky dory. It's a different matter when you are learning something new.

It seems to me to add in more variables into an already complex mix is to slow down the process. In fact I would go so far as to say that as long as the tackle is approximately right that a new fisherman is much better sticking to one rod and one line.

Just my opinion...
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page