News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Maximum Good Presentation Distance

Started by Wildfisher, May 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Exerod on May 13, 2012, 08:50:34 AM
The streams I fish rarely call for a much longer
Same here with one exception and even then the casts are normally far shorter. I do like the sound of that  Arthur Cove idea though.   :D

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on May 13, 2012, 09:32:05 AM
Same here with one exception and even then the casts are normally far shorter. I do like the sound of that  Arthur Cove idea though.   :D

If you want more distance and better accuracy then use an intermediate line and "grease" it ( armorall works great, just wipe it on with a clean cloth, allow to dry, and polish if desired), repeat occasionally to retain the "floating" capability.  This will cast a lot further, and a lot more accurately than any floater of the same weight. This is due to be it being a lot thinner for its weight than a floater.  Works just like a silk line and floats "ON" the surface film and not "IN" it like a plastic floater.  Also gives better hook ups and causes less disturbance, especially at close range, but will work better at distance as well.   Once you have treated an intermediate line with armorall ( or similar) then it will float for a very long time.  Unlike a plastic floater it causes less disturbance "IN" the film as it is not intrinsically buoyant.  If you are heavy handed and splash it down hard then it will sink slowly of course ( "Neutral" density) and it will not rise again to the surface by itself as a plastic floater will, but it will once again float on the surface when recast.

This is what I mainly use for river dry fly fishing. But you can use it for anything requiring the properties described.

A word of caution, once treated with something like armorall the lines are virtually impossible to sink, and very difficult indeed to get clean again, ( although alcohol and soap works) so if you want to try this be aware that you will end up with a "High density floater".

These lines are also very pleasant to use, they have very little "memory" ( as there is far less plastic coating on the core), they cast much better at close range, and of course they cut the wind a lot better because they are denser for the same weight. All in all very similar to using a greased silk line.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Also by the way,and contrary to popular opinion, you need a great deal LESS power to cast an intermediate or a high density line, but you need to use a faster stroke because the line travels a "LOT" faster through the air. It has less air resistance and is heavier for the same # line weight. 

TL
MC

scotty9

That's impressive casting with the 5 DT, especially with three flies on. Was that high bank stuff?

Malcolm

Scott,

Part of the key is the very long leader and having the wind in the right direction. Having a long leader can add a great real of distance as long as you can get the leader to extend which it will with the right wind. Of course with an obstructive wind you can forget ultra long leaders and knock a lot off the amount of line out of the tip as well.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

bibio1

Using a furled leader can also add a considerable difference as the transfer of energy from line to leader is much improved. Try it and I am sure river fishers will not look back. There's a chap on the fff. ( sorry ) that sells them and they are good.

On a river I now use this with around a 16ft leader with out problems.

Guddler

Maximum distance for good presentation of dry fly with a 9' 5# rod? Well it varies a little with wind direction but, generally, around 9'  :lol:

dazdidge

Quote from: bibio1 on May 13, 2012, 07:10:11 PM
Using a furled leader can also add a considerable difference as the transfer of energy from line to leader is much improved. Try it and I am sure river fishers will not look back. There's a chap on the fff. ( sorry ) that sells them and they are good.

On a river I now use this with around a 16ft leader with out problems.

As does one of our members here

http://www.thehighlanderway.com/online_sales.html

east wind

First troot I caught this year was on the first serious cast of the season. It was lying mid river at a slight bend and I was kneeling on a high bank on the outside bend. It was too deep to even put one leg in so I went for the big one.

With a favourable gentle wind I cast about 50-60ft (hard to tell I measure most things in snooker tables) That cast was accurate and from the high position i saw the troot come up nice as you like first time. I was well chuffed.

Normally I go to the fish and get as close as possible, about two to three snooker tables. Any more and I find I get less offers.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 15, 2012, 11:01:28 PM
my conclusion...if you shoot any more than just 6', control over presentation is ebbing
I can't put a number on it but I agree. Shooting and good, accurate presentation are pretty well mutually exclusive for most casters. Logically that makes gimmicks like long bellies, long back tapers etc etc  irrelevant. What you need is a good old fashioned, stable   DT and improved casting ability.

Looks like Arthur Cove figured that out years ago.

Let's be honest, no matter what you do in all walks of life, that's what it always comes down to  - ability. There are no short cuts. Magic bullets are for the gullible.

The effort you are prepared to put in always has more bearing on  the outcome than the thickness of your wallet. You have to decide if the effort is worth the potential increased reward whatever that might be. Everything in the natural world that is successful follows that rule;  a cheetah chasing a gazelle or a big trout  with a full belly ignoring a fly.

Go To Front Page