News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Casting Day 27-10-07 Analyser Results

Started by Wildfisher, October 30, 2007, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougie Smith

Magnus,
Thanks again for the analysis, the results will be useful for future improvement.

I can see how casting becomes addictive, where you are looking for the perfect cast and don't even mind about the fishing so much. However, that almost takes fly fishing to the same level as golf, so I'll stick with using casting improvements to catch more fish.

Cheers,
Doug.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Magnus on November 01, 2007, 01:01:06 AM
- the first time I tried it was with one of the most highly qualified UK instructors and an ex tournament champion - they both failed to record a backcast - so Fred's in good company  :P

I just knew I'd make a great instructor.   :D

Wildfisher

That movie clip clearly shows that distance casting and fishing casting are not the same thing. It appears to break just about all the rules – for example the horizontal rod on the backcast. The wrist action is interesting. It’s hard to see where the stop is

haresear

QuoteIf you strip away the haul and cast a fixed line - trap the line don't hold it (see below) - you have the fundamental outfit. Its 'simply' then a matter of working on getting as smooth and easy as possible and making the sweetest loops possible. Practice curves, aerial mends (left and right and up and down), snake rolls and snaps. Throw in a bit of simple target practice - or more advanced target practice by insisting on having some slack between the rod and line and an accurate delivery.

Yes I know this all sound too serious, what can I say, I enjoy casting.

I'm straying a bit from the thread here , but loosely connected...

I don't think that you take casting practice too seriously at all. Harelug and I go in for a bit of this during the winter, trying different presentation casts as mentioned, as well as reaching for the sky. Through watching the video I've identified faults with each of us. I probably still have these faults, but at least I know about them now :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page