News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Knot for tapered leader, and rings

Started by col, April 20, 2010, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

What knot would you reccomend for a tapered leader , also rings i was using a surgeons loop, but find it bulky in the tip ring.

Also  do you just use a bloodknot for riverge seamless rings or are there better knots to use?

Col

Guddler

I've been using a perfection loop for the butt end. As the ring connection ends up being in place for as much a few months sometimes, I keep meaning to experiment with some of the better knots but so far the bloodknot has been fine.

Wildfisher

I now needle knot the leader to the main line then  simply water knot various tippets to the  business end. No loops, no glues, no rings. everything is silk smooth. If the leader is inside the tip ring it casts out, no need to pull it. I carry a nail knot tool and a few sewing machine needles with the spare leaders. Thanks to Alex for getting me onto this method it has helped me overcome the psychological block I had to taking the leader inside the tip  when netting  a big fish. Not really an issue for wee fish I suppose. I  don't know why I didn't get onto it years ago.

paulr

I use a needle knot like Fred to connect my leader to flyline, then two turn water knots to join any other bits of tippet.
When using the wee rings I've always just used tuck blood knots.
cheers
Paul

River Chatter

I think I'm missing something here.  If you attach the fat end of a tapered leader to the fly line using a needle not don't you end up with a bulky knot on the fly line where the needle knot is secured? Or are you just super glueing it inside the end of the fly line.   

paulr

Hi John,
The leader goes about half an inch up the inside of the flyline then pokes out of a hole and is pretty much whipped round the fly line, so there is no bulky knot at all. I usually varnish it for extra security and smoothness through the rod rings.

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/knots/needle/index.html

silverbutcher

Uni knot for connecting to riverge rings.

Billy

River Chatter

Yeah, I get that Paul... I use a needle not myself, but attach a short lenght of level mono that isn't too thick.  I then attach a tapered leader to this mono - but how can you attach a tapered leader directly to the fly line using this method given that the fat end of the leader would result in a bulky needle knot?

paulr

Sorry John  :oops: Didn't realise you used the needle knot.

I don't use shop bought leaders but needle knot a length of 15lb mono to the flyline.As long as the wraps of nylon lay side by side on the flyline it barely has a raised profile at all.The mono also cuts into the flyline a bit. Like I said I also varnish it to make the whole knot smoother.

Apologies again, didn't mean to teach my granny to suck eggs  :)

Paul

River Chatter

Quote from: paulr on April 20, 2010, 01:06:03 PM
Sorry John  :oops: Didn't realise you used the needle knot.

Dinnae worry Paul, I'm not that sensitive!  :lol:

Go To Front Page