News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Knot for tapered leader, and rings

Started by col, April 20, 2010, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: River Chatter on April 20, 2010, 12:01:47 PM
I think I'm missing something here.  If you attach the fat end of a tapered leader to the fly line using a needle not don't you end up with a bulky knot on the fly line where the needle knot is secured? Or are you just super glueing it inside the end of the fly line.   

I wondered about that too. In practice the knot (3 turns) is compact when tightened. Using a needle to thread the  leader up through the end of the line ensures a straight,  central pull that does not snag. I use no glue at all.

scotty9

Can't add to what these guys have said, needle knot/nail knot for tapered leader. No knot whitlock join is cool too.

For the ring try the 16/20 knot or the orvis knot I posted in the nylon thickness thread. The orvis knot especially is amazingly strong. Just tie it on and forget about it.

Like buzz i've got a thing for a loop as well, I really prefer the direct connection but the advantages of loops are so convenient. I tried various nylon tied loops on the end of my leader and never found one I was totally satisfied with, i don't like braided loops either. The welded loops are good but I can't get a really nice small profile loop in the thick end of a tapererd leader and I can't neatly tie a tapered leader onto a welded loop  :(

IrishFloatTube

I nail knot 18" of heavo mono onto the fly line end. The leaders are uni knotted onto that.
My nail knots are inserted through the line centre since the time a nail knot pulled a collar of line plastic covering off and failed while pulling from a tree.
That's on the lake. I change for the floating line on the river.
My river setup is the same for sinking lines, but for floaters I use a leader loop to a figure of eight in the flyline end.

haresear

Quote from: col on April 20, 2010, 06:00:11 PM
thanks, ive made a loop with the braided core of my fly line, is this compatible with nail knot?

No Col, it isn't.
If you have whipped the fly line core to form a loop I would simply tie a half blood in the butt section on to the loop. Three turns should do it. Maybe even two.

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

Bri,

QuoteIs there a point when you judge that the diameter of your leader and the diameter of your tippet will not make a comfortable knot or do you just keep shortening until you get to a point when you think the leader has lost it's effectiveness.

Yes, there becomes a point where the diameter of the leader is getting quite chunky. What I then do is to add a sacrificial length of around 8lb and knot my tippet/point to that.

I'm not sure how many times I fit a totally new leader, because I use a few different lines. Usually I fish a 4 or a 5 in sumer and a 6 in winter or spring. I'll guess and say I replace each leader twice or three times in a season, but that is a total guess. It follows that I lose about an inch off the tip of the fly line every time I change.

I do usually add a wee touch of flexible superglue, but it is more to keep the mono inside the flyline  straight and stop it curling up, rather than to seal the tip. Wicking may happen, but as I mostly grease up the leader butt anyway (maybe twice or three times in a day), I just extend that on to the tip of the line, so the tip floats ok.

I tend to use the needle knot method on the light lines and a factory welded loop on the #6s. I don't think there is anything to choose between the two methods as far as hingeing is concerned. Both are good, but the needle knot I find slides through the rings more easily when a fish takes line.

The loop is undoubtedly more convenient when it comes to changing set ups, so it is matter of personal preference and what works best for the fishing you intend to do. Both methods work :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page