News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cleaning Fly lines

Started by Clan Chief, June 24, 2011, 07:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Is something I neglect. I recall purchasing a Cortland line a few years back and it came with a wee cleaning pad which I used but soon forgot about. I was thinking that it was about high time I started looking after my lines and give them a clean now and again. I was wondering instead of buying some bummed up cleaner from an angling store have any Wild Fisher Forumites got any tips or suggestions as to what they use for cleaning their fly lines.

Highlander

Warm water & a mild detergent, dry with a soft lint free cloth is as good as anything.
Never been a fan of lubricants & treatments. Some may indeed work but I sometime wonder how many may damage a fly line.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

As Highlander suggests, a mild detergent and damp cloth works for cleaning. I did that once :)

After that, you can dry them off (don't use a yellow duster or you'll get lint allover the line) and then apply some lubricant :gay4 like the Snowbee, Wizz Lube or just use Armorall dashboard wipes :8)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Don't if I should be proud or not but I have never washed a fly line, I don't even give it a thought.  Saying that I don't worry about my casting either :roll: 

I do worry about tippet construction and which fly :worms

Norm

Traditionalist

Had a chap going nuts because his expensive sink tip line wouldn't sink. I had a look at it and asked a few questions. He had "cleaned" it with Armorall wipes.  Armorall will prevent a "sink tip" or indeed an intermediate line from sinking. It then works on the same principle as a "greased" silk line.  Indeed, if you want to try a "silk feel", use an intermediate and grease ( or "armorall"! ) it. 

If you have problems like this, rubbing the tip ( or the whole line ), down with alcohol in a soft cloth will usually fix it.  Just soapy water wont work because the Armorall sinks in to the surface of the line ans is difficult to get off with soap, any silicone is hard to remove with "normal" soap.

TL
MC

Billy

I have a nail in a fence post in the garden and a couple of times a season I hook the line on to it and run it out across the garden.

I run a clean cloth along it and whizz lube before cleaning with a cloth.

I dont think modern plastic lines are affected much with these new cleaners but it would have been a different story with old silk lines.

Billy

kemp355

I clean my lines about every 4/5 trips armaroll wipes do the job and adry with a clean cloth shoots great floats high and dry

Go To Front Page