News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hot Chocolate Tips

Started by davefromtheattic, August 07, 2011, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

Been down the river the last couple of days and it's quite high and very coloured with loads of plant debris coming down. What would you do in this situation? Just go home?

alancrob

Having looked at the local burns my first thought would be take care!

A lot of water has fallen here, about 50mm in 24 hours.

A.

Harpo

aye go home and have a w.....arming cup of tea :D

davefromtheattic

Ha ha  :lol:. I hope it doesn't take too long to clear. I'll just focus on collecting brownie points in the meantime.

haresear

Sometimes, like on a fishing holiday with endless rain, there is nothing else for it but just to fish.

If you ever find yourself in that situation there are a few points to bear in mind which could save the day.

Fish will be right in at the edge in shallow water or even in the fields :8) These areas remain clearer.

Tributaries rise and fall faster than the main rivers.

Rivers clear from the upper reaches down, so even though it is tea with milk down the bottom, it may be tea without milk up the top end. It can be worth a look at the headwaters if your permit gives access. The Clyde is a good example.

Loch-fed rivers will be clear enough to fish all the time. They may be high but they will be clear at the loch outlet.

Time to get out the wooly buggers!

Alex
Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

Quote from: haresear on August 07, 2011, 06:50:26 PM
Time to get out the wooly buggers!
Alex

That crossed my mind, I just don't know the technique to using them on the river. Across and down, up and across, up and stripped or down and stripped?

haresear

QuoteAcross and down, up and across, up and stripped or down and stripped?

All of the above :)

I tend to try to cast up and across, but it is hard work. Fred always catches more than me and he fishes pretty much down and across.

Alex
Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

Brian Mcg

Had a look Today Dave but it is massive and Brown. Meant to take a guy out tomorrow but it looks like I will try the Loch :(
Should be ok Wednesday/Thursday. Few fish about :D

Brian

Go To Front Page