News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leaders

Started by Moggie, January 07, 2014, 05:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggie

Being one of the "older generation", and I suppose more than a little out of date, I have never used a leader, tying my cast directly on to the end of my line but I came on an American website where they were claiming that their furled leaders were almost a necessity and any fisher worth his or her salt should be using them because they presented the fly much more delicately. Is there anything in that? Should I bring myself up to date?  Should I be using a leader at all and what's the difference between a furled leader and a braided leader? I know what a braided loop is and I'm not too fond of them!

Moggie
Do it well, Do it once.

Highlander

Leaders are used as a transition between fly line & tippet (cast).They will not make you a better caster necessarily but will help in turnover of flies especially bulky ones.

Nylon : such as Leeda Selecta & Profil are tapered nylon
Braided : such as you get from Airflo are generally hollow construction.
Furled : are twisted strands of nylon & basically are solid construction

The advantages between the latter are in the fact that hollow can still retain water & can splat on the forward cast whereas furled will not retain water so are better in that respect.
Both aid in presentation.
I too am off "the old school" but I like to keep "up to date" if not use as least know about things. I have all three types & use them.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Moggie

Thanks Alan, just clicked on your website and there it was!!  I'll be in touch.
Do it well, Do it once.

Hill loch gold

I never really bother with any of these leaders either. As i mostly fish lochs with wets, i don't think i'm really missing anything. (Or am i a bit old school too?)  :D

Would i be correct in saying these furled/tapered leaders are more important for dry fly fishing?

bibio1

I use furled leaders on all my river fishing and they have been a revelation. Turn over is outstanding they are robust and perfect for dry fly.

I don't use them for loch fishing. Most times the wind is from your back and not necessary.

Cheers

Paul

Harpo

Quote from: bibio1 on January 07, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
I use furled leaders on all my river fishing and they have been a revelation. Turn over is outstanding they are robust and perfect for dry fly.

I don't use them for loch fishing. Most times the wind is from your back and not necessary.

Cheers

Paul

Where do you get our furled leaders from Paul? Is there anything to look out for when buying them?

I'm planning on upgrading this year  :D

Cheers

Stuart

Moggie

Quote from: claretbumble on January 08, 2014, 11:14:44 AM
I've been using a furled leader for 5 or 6 seasons now, and I fish exclusively lochs. I prefer them to the tapered polyleader that I was using before, as there is less memory, and they are more supple. I like to use a leader, as it lets me keep my cast (tippet) length down to 6 to 10 feet, while still putting a decent distance of less bulky / visible material between my flies and my main fly line.
The extra length was something I did wonder about. I use a 10ft rod and I thought that adding a further 8ft or so to my cast could make life difficult. Anyway time will tell, I've just ordered a couple from Highlander.
Do it well, Do it once.

Highlander

Do not shorten anything unless you want to. A  furled leader will help "turnover & presentation" up to 14ft of standard tippet no problem.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

bibio1

Quote from: Harpo on January 07, 2014, 11:46:49 PM
Where do you get our furled leaders from Paul? Is there anything to look out for when buying them?

I'm planning on upgrading this year  :D

Cheers

Stuart

I bought them off the fff. I think skb do them now. I prefer the thread ones as they are just perfect. I have a few spare. PM me your address and I'll send you one to see.

Harpo

Quote from: bibio1 on January 11, 2014, 11:49:31 AM
I bought them off the fff. I think skb do them now. I prefer the thread ones as they are just perfect. I have a few spare. PM me your address and I'll send you one to see.

That's kind of you Paul, PM sent

Cheers

Go To Front Page