News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Keep Your Fly Line Clean

Started by Wildfisher, June 10, 2014, 08:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Just a timely reminder. The other day I noticed my #5 Wildfisher Stream Stealth seemed to be  a little sticky. Normally it just glides effortlessly. It just didn't  feel "right". It occurred to me I had been using this line all season and I fish a lot, it's rare for me to miss a day.

Got home and gave it a clean. I had to run it through the Armourall pad a dozen time before the dirt stopped coming off. It was filthy, all that dirt was stuck on hard and must have been acting like sandpaper. To the eye the line looked clean, it was not.

I'm no casting expert, but this is not good and I reckon a lot of casting problems are caused by sticky lines. Keep them clean, it's easy to forget like I did!  :D

Colin Fionn

Completely agree. A cloth with some good old fairy liquid is all you need, it takes 5 minutes and adds yards and yards to your casting range. Even brand new lines benefit from a clean, in my experience.

Harpo

What pad do you use from the range Fred?

http://www.armorall.com/product-types/wipes/

I see one of them kills the flu bug ! 

I should do this ad noticed my line  was sticky last week

Colin Fionn

Very true Alan, should have mentioned.  I take a Fairy-impregnated cloth and a simple wet one with me when I go fishing. I don't always clean the line, but when I do I use both.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 10, 2014, 10:10:01 PM
Its the single biggest improvement you can make to make casting easier and further, quickest too.

After cleaning my line as noted above I was out again yesterday. The difference was like night and day. Dirt builds up over time, you don't notice it until it gets bad, then you clean the line and wonder why you don't do it after every trip.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Harpo on June 11, 2014, 12:00:10 AM
What pad do you use from the range Fred?

Original Protectant Wipes, they work like a dream, clean, polish and lubricate the line in one go. Don't use them on sinking lines!

Harpo

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2014, 07:07:41 AM
Original Protectant Wipes, they work like a dream, clean, polish and lubricate the line in one go. Don't use them on sinking lines!

I can't seem to get them online, plenty of other types just not original
I'm gonna try my sons wet wipes...they clean everything on earth for a pound a packet so will give it a go !

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Harpo on June 11, 2014, 11:23:24 PM
I'm gonna try my sons wet wipes...

They do work Stu but they dont 'polish' the line. Bloody amazing things they even get Irn Bru oot the carpet!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

stu,

I gave you a bum steer ...................... don't use baby wipes  they may clean you line they won't lubricate it

It's ARMORALL Dashboard Wipes I use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMORALL-CAR-DASHBOARD-TRIM-INTERIOR-CLEANING-WIPES-GLOSS-FINISH-TUB-OF-30-/400672773398?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5d49f55516

Harpo

Grand Fred thanks, will be driving past a Halfords tomorrow!

Go To Front Page