News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Char

Started by burnie, June 10, 2014, 10:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

I am soon off to Harris on holiday and I note some of the lochs hold Char. As I have still not had a go for one, this could be my opportunity, so any advice for me on method or fly selection. Some of the bigger lochs have boats, so I am guessing this is where I will be trying at either Flodabay or Stocknish.

nacnud

Caught them in Loch Lee when fishing for trout, both on wet fly & dries. I've never tried to "target them so can't help with that I'm afraid.

Colin Fionn

I've caught them only by accident. The very few times I actually tried to catch them (sinking line tactics in deep highland lochs) I've blanked.  :roll:

burnie

Thanks guys, I will no doubt get some local advice from whoever sells me a ticket.

Wildfisher

I'd steer clear of Obbe fishings, they will charge you £15 / day to fish for sprats in near barren hill lochs.

burnie

Cheers for that Fred, there are some lochs on Scalpay, where I'm staying, will find out about them on arrival. Planning to take some salt water gear too, maybe SWFF for Pollock.

Allan Crawford

Just normal wet fly fishing from a drifting boat small flies help I know I've hit a shoal when I get lots of rises and very few hooked over deeper water.

Go To Front Page