News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cheap Superglue

Started by rannoch raider, November 17, 2016, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Tesco Extras are selling Loctite 5gm bottles with the brush applicator for £1.50 . That's half price and a hell of a lot cheaper than zap a gap/Fulling Mill etc. :-)

Lochan_load

I'd be on that if I had a Tesco handy, bought the fulling mill stuff last time but mainly for the brush and because some dry white, it is good but at 7 quid or whatever it costs it should be  :shock:

IanR

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 18, 2016, 01:39:57 AM
I'd be on that if I had a Tesco handy, bought the fulling mill stuff last time but mainly for the brush and because some dry white, it is good but at 7 quid or whatever it costs it should be  :shock:

I can get you some and post it to you if you like?

Lochan_load

That's Extremely kind but I'm not in a great need for it and if I'm in glasgow any time soon I'll just grab some, thanks though

rannoch raider

Its not really a big issue for trout fly tying but I use loads of it for making hollow style pike patterns. These big guys have so much thread and so many  layers of material that it pays to bombproof every new move with a brush of glue. It can also be difficult to get the brush type. I bought a dozen bottles and was quizzed by the check out assistant who asked if I was going to sniff it. I convinced her that it was for a hobby and I preferred beer to solvents anyway.  She continued to look at me with a wee bit of concern as she made the sale and as I was walking away she asked what my hobby was. I told her that I went around gluing myself to supermarket doors to protest about the price of lager and bacon. Her eyes followed me right through the store and into the car park. :-)

Lochan_load

I use it in bigger salmon flies and same as you for like flies but I use it when I'm putting on jungle cock cheeks, I put a couple of turns to secure them and then put a dot on the tips before I finish wrapping to hold it in. Also tie off and put a thin layer of superglue on the head before I varnish. Makes it secure but also seems to fill in the gaps so the varnish sits more evenly

rannoch raider

Couple of good tips there Andy. I never really considered its use for anything other than Pike patterns but I will now. Like the JC usage. Nice one!

corsican dave

Quote from: Roobarb on November 20, 2016, 08:51:02 AM
Good Lord the art of fly tying is dead!
Gluing on jungle cock, whatever next, it will be plastic tinsel and dyed feathers next mark my words. You think I exaggerate but I've even heard of people using animal hairs for wings! Where will it end?

Andy

animal hair is just so last century, Andy  :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

You may become unstuck using that cheap glue   :D

Bobfly

I hear that CarpetRight are bringing out a fly tying catalogue  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page