News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Taking tying materials abroad.

Started by JimJams, February 08, 2017, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimJams

Am I going to run into any issues taking feathers etc abroad? Don't know if customs will have a problem or not.
Quite fancy taking some tying stuff over to Oman with me on my next trip. 60 nights of absolutely nothing to do but watch movies in this desert. Think it'll keep me occupied!

SoldierPmr

I know its no help but you could make hooch and fight camel spiders against scorpions to pass the time  :lol:

Im sure there will be a document on items which can not be brought into the country on the airports web site.

JimJams

Had a look Liam but couldn't spot anything.
The camel spiders and scorpions I do my absolute best to avoid. Not easy when working in bell holes that are nice and shaded!
And 2 months without a drink, 4 days to go, vodka is calling! Damn BP dry site!

Inchlaggan

They CITES regulations would cause you the most problems- an overview can be found here- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cites-controls-import-and-export-of-protected-species

I doubt you would be taking any of these, but proving the point might be problematical.

These guys might be able to help- www.arabianflysportfishing.com
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

JimJams

Thanks for that, might be a case of just taking synthetics and tying pike flies!

Bobfly

Should be good scope for some great sea fishing  :D :D     Will you be going up to the Musandam end ??
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Feathers in packets (Hackles) should be ok but anything on skin (capes) or indeed furs would be suspect.
Synthetics should be ok. Moi I would not bother, not worth the possible hastle.
Oman for 60 days, makes me glad I am retired. Stick to Scorpion fighting or a good book.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

JimJams

Quote from: Bobfly on February 08, 2017, 06:59:10 PM
Should be good scope for some great sea fishing  :D :D     Will you be going up to the Musandam end ??

Unfortunately not. I literally do my 2 months then I'm back to muscat and on the plane home, no recreation time.

Quote from: Highlander on February 08, 2017, 06:59:16 PM
Feathers in packets (Hackles) should be ok but anything on skin (capes) or indeed furs would be suspect.
Synthetics should be ok. Moi I would not bother, not worth the possible hastle.
Oman for 60 days, makes me glad I am retired. Stick to Scorpion fighting or a good book.

Thanks, that's what I though, little packet of hackles wedged between some synthetic stuff should be ok.
After this many trips out here, I start losing my mind after a while, I'm usually a really active person but when all you have is a portacabin to sleep in and a laptop for movies it gets dull quick.

Billy

I was just the same when I worked in the Western Desert.

You hit a wall after about 5 weeks and go into a bit of a downer.
Luckily I ran a bar just outside the fence which helped. Tying flies would have been healthier though.

Billy

JimJams

Quote from: Billy on February 09, 2017, 08:21:55 AM
I was just the same when I worked in the Western Desert.

You hit a wall after about 5 weeks and go into a bit of a downer.
Luckily I ran a bar just outside the fence which helped. Tying flies would have been healthier though.

Billy

We were able to sneak a bottle in the first couple of trips but they clamped down major after some
People took the piss. Now there's nothing and zero tolerance! :(

Go To Front Page