News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How do I hide the smell?

Started by Bison, March 22, 2009, 12:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Hello there, hopefully someone can help, and apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere on the forum.

I've recently started attempting to tie my own flies, and just bought a patch of deer hair in a packet complete with the crystals which I take it are for keeping moisture/insects/mice etc away. 

Unfortunately the smell of said crystals is at risk of also repelling SWMBO.  She came home tonight to find me busy at the vice, and the chemical smell in the living room annoyed her even more than the fact that there were bits of feather on the carpet :roll:!  I've put the sealed packet inside a zip lock plastic freezer bag, but the crystals clearly have the penetrating ability of gamma radiation as the smell still keeps on coming.

She is demanding that the packet is removed to the shed (the new vice has also been earmarked for the shed but as a compromise I have agreed to the purchase of more cushions for the settee ? how many cushions can one settee cope with??) ? will I just have to give in to her demands, and will the crystals really keep the mice at bay in the shed?

p.s to anyone thinking of taking up fly tying, don't buy cheap shite tools off eBay  :x.  Get a decent bobbin holder with a smooth tip which won't shred your thread each time you wrap it round the hook.  If you buy cheap, you buy twice?

scotfly

Bison,
       The chrystals are naphthalene, they're used to keep "beasties" at bay. Don't know if they'll work on mice though.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/NewSearchRes.aspx?strName=naphthalene

I actually like the smell and my wife has gotten used to them (like she had a choice!  :lol:) But, when you read up on it, it's scary stuff.
Still, it's only a small risk for peace of mind!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&ei=KIfFSdiTKOTSjAfp4aCLCw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=naphthalene&spell=1

haresear

Bison,

I'd ditch the wife :)

On the positive side, you are right about the bobbin holder.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ian_M

Aye, tough talking guys, but which one of you would make the stand if push came to shove   :worms
Ian

burnie

Bison,tell her the smell will keep the moths off her cushions and if she doesn't go for it try tying a few flies with bits of cushion and leave a hole or two. :lol:

shanksi

Bison,
Just tell her balls that is cedar wood balls :D can be used to keep away beasties.  A lot of brave guys on here telling someone else to say it to SWMBO. :D

shanksi

Black-Don

My good lady lives in the shed now. My fly tying gear lives in the house.  :roll:

Ceramic bobbin holders are a must.

Bison

Quote from: haresear on March 22, 2009, 01:51:54 AM
Bison,

I'd ditch the wife :)

On the positive side, you are right about the bobbin holder.

Alex

If I kicked her out I?d be rich, have loads of free time, and could clutter the house up with whatever I liked?

But then I?d have nothing to moan about so my life would be empty!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on March 22, 2009, 11:49:44 PM
My good lady lives in the shed now. My fly tying gear lives in the house.  :roll:

that's what I like to see Donald, a man with balls (or is it just a vivid imagination)  :D

shanksi

Having met Don definitely a vivid imagination. :D

shanksi

Go To Front Page