News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

middle dropper flies - a nightmare??

Started by beaniboy67, January 11, 2006, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaniboy67

over the years of fishing i always seem to find my fish come to either the tail fly or the bob fly.i dont think this is just me as ive heard  friends say the same thing.

does anyone here take fish on the middle fly and if they do lets see if we can try and find a decent list of flies for the middle of the cast.

i think the kate mclaren works not to badly in the middle and a wee dabbler can do the trick too for some people.

This may just be due to the fact that most ppl will put something bushier on the bob and  slimmer on the point so the middle spot gets taken by something in betweenish(kate or dabbler)

any lethal middle dropper flies with consistent results i think should be printed here so we can all share them.i for one still cant seem to get one that feels a solid performer.

answer on a postcard   :)

Sodger Muddler

My top 3 middle dropper are in no particular order ,Ke-He,Wingless Wickhams and Silver Dabbler .White hackled Invicta also deserves a mention.

Wildfisher

beaniboy67, have not really given this much thought in the before, but ?now I think about it I reckon you are right.

Perhaps we put our least favourite flies on the mid. dropper?

beaniboy67

Quote from: adminbeaniboy67, have not really given this much thought in the before, but ?now I think about it I reckon you are right.

Perhaps we put our least favourite flies on the mid. dropper?

yeh it maybe is that.i do find that on the original leader setup The middle always seems harder to choose and im never sure whether it should be a bushy or slim pattern for that spot.i think this leaves me not 100 percent sure of the pattern in that position and it maybe loses my confidence in it to some extent.

i always choose a favourite bushy favourite or hog for the bob then a slim sparse or winged fly for the tail. feeling confident of those flies in those positions keeps me going until i either catch a fish or feel a swap is needed.

my new plan for this season is

if a fish is taken on the tail or bob then im going to swap that fly and put it into centre position and im then gonna replace its empty space with another favourite bob or tail fly.if the middle fly then continued to take fish in that position then it may boost confidence in that pattern on that day and rise as middle fly favourite.

surely this has to do some good as i take nothing on the mid position anyways.  :lol:

Wildfisher

I may well fish only two flies, so there will be no mid-dropper dilemma  :lol:

nant_fisher

Since im pretty new to fly fishing ive only ever fished with 2 flies, but this season im gonna try a 3 fly cast and see how it goes.
Adventure time

Wildfisher

Reading some of these  old accounts, it was not uncommon for anglers  to fish with  a dozen flies. Presumably simulating a ?hatch?. Heaven knows how they avoided tangles.  :shock:

Pearly Invicta

usually the traditional bushy bob fly, natural (usually a nymph) in the middle and something flashy on the point- often a pearly invicta or pennel. If I get takes to the nymph- I put another nymph on the point.

Nothing is ever straightforward in this game is it?

rugger

Quote from: beaniboy67over the years of fishing i always seem to find my fish come to either the tail fly or the bob fly.i dont think this is just me as ive heard  friends say the same thing.

does anyone here take fish on the middle fly and if they do lets see if we can try and find a decent list of flies for the middle of the cast.

i think the kate mclaren works not to badly in the middle and a wee dabbler can do the trick too for some people.

This may just be due to the fact that most ppl will put something bushier on the bob and  slimmer on the point so the middle spot gets taken by something in betweenish(kate or dabbler)

any lethal middle dropper flies with consistent results i think should be printed here so we can all share them.i for one still cant seem to get one that feels a solid performer.

answer on a postcard   :)

Has to be a claret bumble for me.

Paul

Highlander

Always has been a dilema. What I tend to do is put the Fancy/ Biggest on the tail. A bushy bob fly & a natuaral in the middle. Something like a Greenwell or similar. Does not always work but gives good variation to start with. Depending on their preference one can change to suit conditions. Speaking of multiple flies the Old Clyde fishers used up to 6 on a cast & surprizingly did not have too many tangles. Any more than four might cause problems to my mind. Jesus,some cannae fish with one without tangling up :) The secret is to use a traditional type rod,not the tippy fast actioned must preferred by our modern stillwater fisher & cast with a more open loop than the tight fast loops super slick rods of today.
An aquired art much maligned in todays scene.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page