News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green bodied flies.

Started by bibio1, October 21, 2015, 11:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

I use lots of claret, yellow, orange and haresear flies but not green. Years ago I loved the grouse and green and teal and green. Does anyone still use these flies or similar green bodied flies?

In fact I've caught more fish on a Peter Ross recently.

lnelson20

Not much of a wet fly fisher these days but the red arsed green peter has been a very good loch pattern for me over the years.

Chris.
c.nelson

bibio1

Quote from: Roobarb on October 21, 2015, 11:59:55 PM
It is a little odd how green doesn't feature more in the wet fly fishers fly box, I get to look in a few boxes over the season and can't recall ever seeing a teal or grouse and green.

Exactly, even the green Peter is olive but a true green bodied fly is a rare thing now. In years gone by rannoch  inparticular along with leven had the teal and green and Burleigh as go too flies.

I was going through all my seals fur and had a green packet I'd. not used in years.

IanR

I tie a variant of the cow dung fly, with a green seals fur body.

Ian.

Wildfisher

Might it be green is seen as olive  to fish, or is in fact just an exaggerated "olive"  that triggers a response?  Some mayfly (green drake) patterns have a bit of green in them.

bibio1

I think that might be right. You never saw teal and olives or grouse and olive.

Lots of sedge imitations had green in them. I don't know why because they are an olivey Brown body.

Wildfisher

I think these grouse flies may just be  general nondescript "anything" imitators. I have never seen a natural with a shaggy claret body, but the grouse & claret certainly works. I have caught on the grouse & green, but it's a fly I have only used when struggling with my more regular patterns. It's the old story you will only catch on a fly if it's on your cast!  :lol:

Robbie

Can't say I have ever used a teal or grouse and green. Playing about at the vice the other week I tied up a fly with a peacock tinsel body and mixed orange and yellow palmered hackles, the tinsel tends towards being green and the combination looks interesting. hopefully the fish will agree...

johnny boy

I was given a dressing few years ago that was supposed to be good for Sea Trout (guys last week did well with this.......), cant say I had much success chasing the silver but for browns it can be really good.

Size 10-14
Tail - Hen hackle tied sparse but fluffy
Body - Green fur
Rib - Oval Silver
Wing - Hen Hackle

I never did see the original but when tied as above its a lovely looking fly and with the Hen in winf and tail it really comes to life.

As I say has done well enough for me over the years.

Got to agree about the RAGP, its brilliant, both as standard and in small muddlers.

fergie

A wet green Peter has easily been my most successful fly for years.
Its a great fly just to get the blank off.

Go To Front Page