News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Coming Back To The Parachute Adams

Started by Wildfisher, April 08, 2017, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Here's an odd one and I doubt if I am alone in this. Flies you used frequently but fell out of favour for some reason then one day you rediscover them.

I used the Parachute Adams a lot when I lived beside the Don. When I moved down to Angus in 2013 for some reason I stopped using it. This was not a conscious decision – I sort of just forgot about it.

A few days ago when changing flies (I had just had several refusals) I found some in the corner of my box. I tied one  on and caught the fish. I rose another fish  next cast. I caught another ½ doz fish  on it today.

The Adams is an odd fly it sort of looks like everything while at the same time looks like nothing.

Do you have any flies like this? Ones you used to use a lot but no longer do.

corsican dave

isn't the parachute adams a john gierach go-to fly, Fred? never used one myself; maybe i should?
cinnamon emerger for me  :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

tomcatin

Yes oddly another parachute patterns ....... for the last couple of years I have been using the aforementioned Parachute Adams and the parachute version of Greenwells Glory. At the tail end of last season I rekindled my appreciation of the Iron Blue Dunn parachute.
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Highlander

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Billy

Coch y Bondhu for me.

I used to tie it when I worked in North Wales 20 odd years ago and I had the same situation fishing one day. I was pulling my hair out one day going through my boxes trying to decide what next to try.

I found one and it's one of the first I go to now.

Billy

corsican dave

targeted & taken on a size 12 para adams yesterday. not by me, i hasten to add; australia mate!  :8)
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on April 08, 2017, 10:52:53 PM
isn't the parachute adams a john gierach go-to fly,

He wrote mainly about the standard Adams I think Dave. I suppose it's the American "Greenwells Glory". 

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on April 09, 2017, 10:16:03 AM
He wrote mainly about the standard Adams I think Dave. I suppose it's the American "Greenwells Glory".
now that's another i pull out of the bag now and then. along with a wickhams

sagecirca

Has to be the Jingler for me.  A great early season fly I never had off my cast when fishing the Tummel and Tweed early doors.  Represents each of the big olives that hatch spring and can be fished dry or wet with equal confidence. 

I haven't had one on for several years now much preferring a new pattern I have come across called 'the big broon'.  A mate from Ayrshire gave me a few and I have so much confidence in them that it's now my go to fly for spring feeders.  I tie them in a slightly lighter colour and a little sparser for when the Olive Uprights come off later this month/start of May. 

alba

Grey duster para. looks like everything and nothing.

Used it all the time on my old trout stream but just popped into my head there when reading this thread.

Never used it in a few years, like you say I had just forgot about it.

Go To Front Page