News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Coffee grinder / dubbing blender

Started by rannoch raider, July 30, 2017, 03:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Thanks guys, I've been shuffling and mixing by hand for over forty years now but I thought I'd get with it and 'gadgetize' ! Got to tell you lads my new wee £15 blender makes some beautiful dubbing just the way you want it. I'd even go as far as to say that even if you don't want to make a blend of your own, running a new bag of dubbing through the blender makes it so much easier to use. I would highly recommend getting one, It will bring a whole new dimension to your tying. Hand mixing is stone age  :lol: !

Lochan_load

I still carry a club and drag my wife round by the hair!  :lol:

Tyro

Quote from: rannoch raider on August 02, 2017, 01:29:22 AM
Thanks guys, I've been shuffling and mixing by hand for over forty years now but I thought I'd get with it and 'gadgetize' ! Got to tell you lads my new wee £15 blender makes some beautiful dubbing just the way you want it. I'd even go as far as to say that even if you don't want to make a blend of your own, running a new bag of dubbing through the blender makes it so much easier to use. I would highly recommend getting one, It will bring a whole new dimension to your tying. Hand mixing is stone age  :lol: !

Which blender did you finally go for?

rannoch raider

Quote from: Lochan_load on August 02, 2017, 10:29:06 AM
I still carry a club and drag my wife round by the hair!  :lol:

I do too but only when she asks me nicely  :lol:

I bought the Cookworks Coffee and Herb Grinder at £15.99 from Argos catalogue number 724/3664. It works a treat. Honestly, anyone who's tying flies will love this. It separates every single strand of dubbing and evenly mixes in seconds. it's possible to add a pinch of this and a pinch of that until you get what you are after. I've found that a mix of grey, black, yellow and darkish olive combine to make a fantastic 'buggy' nymph dubbing that you could never produce by hand. It definitely offers a few new possibilities.

Tyro

Thanks for the info. I will probably get one as I have been thinking about it for ages. Not tying much just now but the long dark nights will soon be upon us.

Len

rannoch raider

One word of warning, be careful when blending Antron and other longer fibres. The temptation is to give these an extended whirl, longer burst . You should resist! I tried it and ended up with a build up of fibres trapped under the blade which was difficult to clear. A few 2 to 3 second bursts will get you the results you want. I'd say that should apply to plastics / nylon based materials too just to be safe.

Go To Front Page