News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Easy Foam Bodies.

Started by rannoch raider, August 08, 2017, 01:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Many of you are probably aware of this but I really hadn't given it much thought until I seen Davie McPhail using a special tool to make his foam Daddy bodies.
I have previously paid around £2-3 for a pack of 8 to 10 cylindrical foam bodies. I was always a bit hacked off about the price as I think its a total rip off. I've since discovered that it is possible to make dozens of your own to whatever diameter and length you want for £2.50 using wapsi foam blocks , a drill and a few different size drinking straws.
I couldn't find the fancy drill bit that Mr McPhail uses so tried a stiff drinking straw and found it works very well. The photos are self explanatory. If anyone is going to try it then ensure you make the straw long enough to go all the way through the block otherwise it will leave the cut cylinder attached to the block leaving an empty straw.
The insert from a biro pen or the plastic used for salmon tube flies is a good alternative to a stiff straw.
Quite a saving if you are tying a lot. :)

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Wildfisher

pedropete

good post rannoch, I've used old fashioned car aerial sections for drilling cylinders, I do it by hand, I've no need to do millions these days, just pick your sections and run a needle file over the cutting end, spin it into you plasazote block.I used this method for hunners and hunners of booby eyes back in the day..you can get a Telescopic Magnetic Retrieval Pen online for a few quid.

rannoch raider

Thatnks Pete, I was hunting around for something like that. The old car ariel would be perfect. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the telescopic thing you mention.  :8)

pedropete

I think I butchered an old radio Ariel last time... they last for ages..just keep the cutting end sharp with your wee file and it'll cut cylinders 24/7. you can put it into the chuck of a drill but I've never been that bothered.

haresear

Quote from: pedropete on August 08, 2017, 06:20:58 PM
good post rannoch, I've used old fashioned car aerial sections for drilling cylinders, I do it by hand, I've no need to do millions these days, just pick your sections and run a needle file over the cutting end, spin it into you plasazote block.I used this method for hunners and hunners of booby eyes back in the day..you can get a Telescopic Magnetic Retrieval Pen online for a few quid.

Excellent idea. There are lots of heather fly around just now and the daddies are starting too. Time I started tying some using your method. Where's that old radio cassette? :)
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page