News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rare breed chickens (and ducks)

Started by Robbie, September 04, 2017, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

At the weekend we went to the rare breed sale at the local mart. Not my first choice for a day out but thought I should at least attempt to protect the bank balance.

We were selling 6 or seven chickens of our own, but SWMBO was on the lookout for some sheep. Anyway we arrived at the mart and took the birds into the sale hall which was rapidly filling up. In all there were over 600 lots, mainly chickens but there were also various ducks, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, quail and even a pair of golden pheasants.

Some of the feathers on display looked to have great flytying potential, one pair of ducks really caught my eye as they were a beautiful melanistic greens colour.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

Robbie

More photos:

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5]

Robbie

Miracles do happen and we actually came away form the sales in profit, did not get any sheep. But my wife did buy two Barnvelder hens, may have nab a couple of feathers as they are rather nice:

[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

You'd get some cape of that  :lol: blame the foxes!

Bobfly

It is a bit like the church window feathers on a ring neck pheasant but done in a metallic blue black. Nice.  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Clan Chief

Make a braw flee that! "Robbie's Barnvelder Fancy"

Robbie

SWMBO has already clocked the glint inmy eye when I was eyeing up admiring the new hens. Might have settle for plucking a couple of feathers.

Must say it has crossed my mind to try rearing a few for capes and saddles. There were many other different breeds which looked to have potential e.g. one with almost grouse like colouring.

Prices can also be a but of a shock, the three with brown/ginger bodies and black necks and tails sold for more than £100.

Inverguseran

Some very fine looking Scots Greys in there.

Highlander

If you ever come across an Andalusian Blue give us a bell.
:roll:
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Bobfly

You should be thinking of some back-of-the-cages scissors action at The Highland Show poultry show tent  :D :D 
Some remarkable birds on display there in the competition classes.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page