News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Magic heads

Started by SoldierPmr, September 25, 2017, 10:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

Has anyone managed to come up with a cheap alternative? The ones I make from plastic bottles twist the leader.

SoldierPmr

I take it no one uses these?

Wildfisher

Has it got anything to do with illegal hallucinogenic fungal fruiting bodies?    :lol:

rannoch raider

Hi Liam, I use them. There are a few sea trout patterns that incorporate them into the fly. I don't have an alternative for the type that tie into the flies but there are a few other things on the market that can be used to add movement to bigger flies and lures.
If you are having problems with line twist try sliding the magic head onto the line above the fly and just let it move freely.
How are you fishing them ?

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on September 27, 2017, 11:31:35 AM
Has it got anything to do with illegal hallucinogenic fungal fruiting bodies?    :lol:

No but interesting concept  :lol:

The ones I make are more like the lip on a diving minnow or rapala I slide it down the leader and over the hook eye it gives great movement but twists the leader quite a lot and I don't want to be adding a swivel. I can't justify paying £5 for 5 heads.

rannoch raider

You could try using an Anti Kink vane or lead but no good for the fly rod. As I mentioned you can get a few other things to add a bit of movement to your fly or lure. Some are cheaper than others and there is a wide choice of sizes and styles. Google Action Discs and Sonic Discs and that'll get you in amongst them. Have a look on here to get the idea

http://www.wigglefin.com/bass_lure_reviews.html

http://www.bordersgunroom.co.uk/Pro+Ultra+Sonic+Discs/0_CAAA107_CAAA425/PRAB273.htm

You can find the Action Disc online with a company called AGM who do a lot of decent stuff at good prices...

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/wigglefin-action-disc-large-3pcs-p-1744.html

Hope that helps

SoldierPmr

After much bathroom testing I think I have come up with a shape that doesn't spin a lot  :lol: very good wriggle action.

[attachimg=1]

haresear

It's casting that will be the acid test on whether they spin or not.
A thicker and stiffer tippet will often help to prevent spinning. Have you tried that?
Protect the edge.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: haresear on September 30, 2017, 10:35:35 PM
It's casting that will be the acid test on whether they spin or not.
A thicker and stiffer tippet will often help to prevent spinning. Have you tried that?

I'll be throwing them on 12lb I would usually use 8lb but the batch of maximia I have seems to be dud and snaps with the slightest tug.

haresear

Quote from: SoldierPmr on September 30, 2017, 10:37:33 PM
I'll be throwing them on 12lb I would usually use 8lb but the batch of maximia I have seems to be dud and snaps with the slightest tug.

Maxima is pretty thick stuff so unless you want to go really heavy that might be about your best shot.
In my opinion Maxima goes "off" far quicker than any other line, so I very rarely use it these days. The age of your duff line might be the issue rather than the batch. Could be old stock.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page