News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I've had whistler patterns in my boxes since I started experimenting with swff around 15 years ago. wouldn't be without them. easy tie, great action and very versatile. chuck in some clousers & deceivers and you don't really need anything else. but of course it's no fun unless you're experimenting  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

You could be onto something there. I used to fish the river Fruin years ago and often met a guy who nearly always had a sea trout or two. He told me that he only fished one pattern for daytime sea trouting and that was a grouse and claret with a big bright yellow tail. He reckoned it was deadly. I only ever met him as he was coming off the water so never got a look at his cast and he always had a smile and an excuse for not showing me the killer fly. I think he said he said he used grouse as a longish hackle.

corsican dave

once again, I reckon anything that swims' go for that. I would almost guarantee carp would chase that down if I could only find some to go for
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Couldn't resist having a wee go at that andy, I'm always looking for ideas! Yellow and claret would never have been in my head but it works well. I'll have a bash at the other one you described as well
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

I really like that one andy, simple wee change but it looks crackin. Wouldn't mind transporting back to 67, the music and the fishing were far superior!
Here's the other one tied like a bumble as per the instructions, bit fiddly this one but always is with a thicker stemmed hackle, again the colours work well[attachimg=1]

Bobfly

Check out the Irish fly the Cock Robin with a yellow rear and claret behind the hackle. A popular flee in those parts !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I've got a couple in my box Vaughan but don't think I've ever fished it, another nice flee!

rannoch raider

Nice job Andy, I'd be happy to fish either of those. I can see them working well in a peaty water ?

Lochan_load

Can't confirm or deny but I'd give anything to chuck them at some trout just now and find out!

Lochan_load

I used a flat tinsel, stretched it slightly because it was a bit broad on a small hook, would be fine on an 8. After fiddling about with it I thought I could've just spun it like you would when doing a dabbler, that's what I do with guinea fowl instead of trying to get the right length. Never thought of doing it your way but I'll have a bash at it.

Go To Front Page