News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Quote from: paulr on November 28, 2009, 07:07:09 PM
Bloody hell Scott, wish I could tie with deer hair as well as that-sickening! :makefun

I've been mucking about with an idea I saw on Scotfly's forum, using foam wings as the post on parachute flies.

Probably totally pointless as I doubt the fish give a shit what the part of the fly above the surface looks like, but I'm having fun experimenting.

Well even if they don't, it looks pretty good to us!  :)

Malcolm

A real blast from the past this one. This used to do a lot of good over 20 years ago on the chalkstreams, flipped under trees. I used to think it was taken for a caterpilller but who knows. I haven't had one in my box since I came back to Scotland but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

[attach = 1]
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Chief

Sad person that I am sitting in on a Saturday night.......................This is what I'm up to.....

Clan Chief

Is that a cdc hackle you have dressed it with . If so how did you apply it? Petejan tool then twist it in a loop?

Clan Chief

size 12's

Clan Chief

Yeah! got them at the BFFI. 10 for 4 quid I believe they are available much cheaper. Think i remember reading somewhere that they come in about 17p each or something. Need to find oot where from as I quite fancy getting one pf those blocks of wood with the holes drilled in them. They are ridiculously priced too. Need to talk nice to my pattern maker friend who is rather skilled in the art of woodwork.

bibio1

A lot of great ideas and inspiration for tyings Having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Whats the best body for a river fly or any fly for that matter. Tied 3 flies nearly the same but with different bodies, dubbed wool, flexi floss and turkey biot. Undecided as yet but given dubbed wool has done it for me in the past inclined to stick with it.

paul

harelug

QuotevAny old rubber will do for big flies, but for wee ones, perfect rubber works pretty well. You pull it slowly and it stretches , but stays thin, so you get skinny legs. G.A.C. sells the stuff now at 2.99 a pack.

I don't like to use old rubbers, prefer new one's which i get from boots, about the same price as GAC but it's cheaper if you buy in bulk, I usually go for the 12 pack.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Clan Chief

Very nice bibio1. How many plumes of cdc did you use ? after watching the Ollie Edwards dvd he said according to the guy who created the F fly that 1plume for a size 16... 2 plumes for a 14 and 3 for a size 12 I think.

Clan Ford

Quote from: Clan Chief on November 29, 2009, 07:22:46 PM
Yeah! got them at the BFFI. 10 for 4 quid I believe they are available much cheaper. Think i remember reading somewhere that they come in about 17p each or something. Need to find oot where from as I quite fancy getting one pf those blocks of wood with the holes drilled in them. They are ridiculously priced too. Need to talk nice to my pattern maker friend who is rather skilled in the art of woodwork.

19p for red ones 15p for the black ones :shock:  I just chucked out about a hundred when we moved schools, should have sold them :roll:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Single-Pole/Test-Clips/Microminiature-probes/63862/kw/clip+probe

Norm

Go To Front Page