News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Malcolm it's a deer hair and CDC wing.

Just watched the video, thanks for the prompt Dave! Cracking looking fly btw. I've tied my first fly in 3 or 4 months tonight. Given myself a kick up the arse as I need to become proficient!

deergravy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKOMYU3Ed4

Hope that link works, he ties it as a compara-dun, but it makes a rather useful looking emerger.

Malcolm

Thanks - that makes sense now - I couldn't see the CDC in the original
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

I'm still messing with tungsten teardrops...

[attachimg=1]
half nymph, half spider.

Norm

scotty9

I was looking at teardrops last night on a website and was trying to think how one would use them, so obvious now!  :D

Looks great Norm!

Black-Don

Quote from: Clan Ford on March 26, 2010, 11:16:15 PM
I'm still messing with tungsten teardrops...

half nymph, half spider.

Norm

That's a crackin' lookin' flee norm.  :8)

haresear

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 27, 2010, 12:17:07 AM
I can't see the point of this one guys? 

It's basically a DHE that'll get slimed up and need replaced, why not just use a DHE?

If the troot are getting picky, stick on a CDCE that'll need replaced just as often as the DM hybrid, or am I missing something?

Ardbeg

I'm with Ardbeg. In fact I don't even bother with deer hair anymore. McFlylon does the same job, doesn't break and you can get it a variety of colours.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Chief

Tied this tonight for a possible cast tomorrow on a local burn that has had some recent coverage in this seasons report section

deergravy

Very good point!
Until I try it out I won't know, but I think the floatability of slimed-but-dried-out CDC, combined with the deer-hair, could add a bit of bouyancy.
Y'know, working in tandem, might keep the fly fishing a wee bit longer.
DHEs are prone to getting mangled and waterlogged,too.
Worth a go..?

On the subject of synthetic yarns, I've been tying a few suspender-type flies, but using a loop of poly-yarn instead of a chunk of ethafoam or a polystyrene ball.
If you heavily anoint, in fact, practically cake the loop with mucilin, it floats *much* higher than foam.
The whole loop sits proud of the surface, with only the body underneath.
Spot on!

Always searching for the perfect emerger..

scotty9

Clan Chief, I've just finished reading an article about hot spot nymphs and their effectiveness! Apparently can present a nymph to the fish in a manner that keeps the visibility of the gold head but takes away the flash that can spook them. It was a NZ article but I presume principles are the same. You know I'll feel just great if you go along and catch fish from there  :lol:

Go To Front Page