News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I do like that one Scott. 

Otter Spotter

Havent looked in here in a while but you guys have been busy!

There are some real works of art on display well done  :D
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

This is some thread for sure.

Stats as of today:

2590 Replies

:shock:

dazdidge

After some complications with unwashed/untreated deer hair I have managed the much talked about DHE.
Still needs some work to tidy it up and I think it needs a little more bulk on the thorax?
Any constructive criticism?

Malcolm

Daz,

Nice fly and I'm sure it will work.

I don't tie the DHE as such,  the fly I tie is the sparkle dun emerger which is identical to yours except for a couple of small things - first I tie in a few strands of Zelon at the tail, while I am fishing if that doesn't work then I take a pair of scissors to the fly and chop off the tail - two flies for one!

Secondly I keep the body even thinner with just a dusting of dubbing.

That's what I do anyway!   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Looks good Daz, but perhaps a slightly heavier thorax might  help balance the quite long wing and keep it upright.

dazdidge

Cheers guys.
I never really noticed the length of the wing until you pointed it out Fred, looking at it again it could definitely do with being a bit shorter. I feel I am still applying too much dubbing, it looks fine on the thread but it's not until you wrap it you realise it's too much, I think this is the main problem for people who either don't tie a lot or are still pretty new to tying. The thorax would probably be ok if the body was dubbed a bit finer, some more practice required.

cheers
daz

haresear

Not a bad looking fly at all and it will catch fish for sure, but I would agree with you on all counts Daz.

The wing could be shorter (just tear some off) and I prefer a slimmer abdomen just to make sure it pierces the surface film. I usually use fine rabbit body fur for this which dubs in nice and thin.

I would also tie the wing a wee bit further back down the shank, leaving room for a nice spikey  thorax just behind the eye. I use fox squirrel for the thorax, but anything spikey will do.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: daz on July 09, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
After some complications with unwashed/untreated deer hair I have managed the much talked about DHE.
Still needs some work to tidy it up and I think it needs a little more bulk on the thorax?
Any constructive criticism?

Having read the thread, have to agree with other comments. Need to be a lot more sparsely dubbed and a shorter wing bunch. The slim bodied flies behave and ( doubtless as a consequence) catch better.

Try "touch dubbing". A paper glue stick works better than wax and is easier to use. Just chop some fine fur up well, and "touch" the thread with a bunch after running the glue stick along the thread. Also take care not to overwind. Keep the wraps spaced as normal. This does not bulk up the dubbing.

The glue sticks are not waterproof and don't need to be. The fine hair is trapped by winding the thread. Some will fall off in use, when it is only stuck, but that just makes the fly sparser and better.

TL
MC

Darwin

This video helped me get my head around the proportions.  I gather Bob has updated the original as per Hans.

Go To Front Page